77 Keeps Running - Bad Column Innards?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Alan H. Tast

77 Keeps Running - Bad Column Innards?

Post by Alan H. Tast »

My brother called to describe a problem he's having with his (used to be my) '77 Town Landau with tilt column. When the ignition switch is turned off, the car continues to run. He replaced the key/cylinder assembly with no change in the problem. After studying the shop manual set, he believes either a rod that runs from the switch to another switch further down in the column, or another part inside the column has crapped out. In order to kill the engine he ended up pulling the coil wire when he got home.

The car has 178,000 miles with a decent 400 cu.in. engine, but it's now really showing its age, i.e. passenger side power window doesn't work any more, rusting out in the quarters, worn out carpet, etc. There is no desire to dump a lot of money into it, but if there is a simple fix for the continuously-running engine, he's game to try it.

1. What has most likely happened in his situation?
2. What probably needs to be replaced?
3. Can the part be replaced without disassembly of the steering column?
4. Would it be easier to replace the column rather than repair it?
5. What would it take to replace a column?
6. Is it worth repairing, or should he give up and sell the car for parts?
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
95badbird

Post by 95badbird »

Does the car use a relay for the ignition?
If so, it way be sticking in a closed postion...which in turn might be whats keeping the car running.
1995 Thunderbird 351W
1973 Thunderbird 460