77-79 Headlight Switch Removal & Disassembly?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
7879Tbird

77-79 Headlight Switch Removal & Disassembly?

Post by 7879Tbird »

Two Questions:

1) Anyone know the procedure for removing the headlight switch from the dash? And related:

2) Can anyone shed some light on how to remove the knob/arm once the switch is removed?

Actually 3 questions:

3) Does the knob/arm need to be removed first?

Idiot friend just keep pulling the handle till it cracked. Now I just have a constant vacuum leak and cant turn the lights off unless I go under the dash and hold the switch in place. :-\

Thanks in advance!
BirdShepherd

Re: 77-79 Headlight Switch Removal & Disassembly?

Post by BirdShepherd »

No need to panic.
Here are the steps to remove the headlight switch:
1). It is preferable to kneel by your driver side door with the driver seat all the way back.
2). With your left hand, feel underneath the dash for the switch itself; then with your thumb or finger, find a small metal knob/button on the under side of the light switch itself--towards the front of the switch.
3). Push the knob/button down (actually, it will going up when you push it--not down). This procedure disengages the shaft attached to the headlight knob.
4). Once the knob is pushed in, use your right hand to pull out on the headlight knob. It will take a few tries if the knob has never been removed. The entire shaft should pull out now. (When putting back in place, use force to push in until it 'clicks' and seats.)
5). On the outside of the dash, Unscrew the bezel from the switch.
6). The switch will now be partially released.
7). Unplug the wires from the switch. Try not to break the tab.
8). Remove the three vacuum hoses, making sure you remember which hose goes on which vacuum port.
9). The switch is now free and can be removed completely.

If you have broken anything, switch, knob, bezel, not to worry. I have everything to replace it.
Best wishes, tim
Shepherding 77-79 T-Birds, Shepherding People
7879Tbird

Post by 7879Tbird »

Thanks. One problem, though, how does one know which hose goes on which port? (mine are disconnected.)

Also, is the bezel the only thing that holds the switch in place?
7879Tbird

Post by 7879Tbird »

7879Tbird wrote:Thanks. One problem, though, how does one know which hose goes on which port? (mine are disconnected.)

Also, is the bezel the only thing that holds the switch in place?

I ask because the bezel just rolls around and catches on nothing...
BirdShepherd

Post by BirdShepherd »

Each vacuum hose has a dab of colored paint on it to match the paint dab on the plastic port. In addition, the hoses are preformed to fit in their natural spot in terms of position and length.

To your last question, yes, the bezel is the only thing that holds the headlight switch in place. It is, unfortunately, very easy to strip the thread on the bezel as they are only plastic.
Shepherding 77-79 T-Birds, Shepherding People