New T-Bird Owner

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

stevegintn

Re: New T-Bird Owner

Post by stevegintn »

Thanks, again, MN63!

Tank is installed! (yay!) - notice that my hydraulic atv/lawnmower lift was a big help, esp working alone:

I finally figured out, that the fuel line will go on top, via the Sending Unit:

The only new 'wrinkle' - what I thought was an inline filter is actually an Electric Pump!
So, I will have to figure out if & why the mechanical pump was by-passed?

Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
tbird

Post by tbird »

Just a little something that I have found is that the tank installation instruction states that the fill tube is installed after the tank is in place, I found that the filler tube mounting tab will not go below the body support tab as it should once the tank is up. In fact I tried it prior to putting the O-ring in place which allows a bit of wiggle room but it is just a hair to big to get by, will likely drop the tank again and put it in that way.

The original filler pipes for the 61-66 and likely before and beyond had a lead coating to stop the issue of sparks' reproduction pipes do not have the coating on them.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day,
I have replaced the filler tube on my 63 Bird and I didn't remove the tank. I just rotated the filler tube in a spiral fashion so the mounting tab cleared the main body enough to remove It. It was a bit tight because the rubber was not lubricated and was a bit stiff from age but it can be done. I did the same thing but only in reverse to insert the new filler tube. I placed the new "O" ring in the tank groove first and lubricated it with some rubber grease and it was a lot easier.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Thanks for he heads up, Guys - I'm hoping I will be able to get the new, as yet-to-receive filler tube (it was back-ordered) filler tube without removing the tank. But if not, should not be too much a problem to drop the tank again (the sending unit was the big question mark for me). So, I will prob wait on adding gas and testing, til I get it.
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Any thoughts on the electric vs. manual fuel pump issue? I will first check to see if the manual pump has been by-passed - if not, I will see if it works (there was a reason somebody added the electric pump!)
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
redbow

Post by redbow »

A lot of these older vehicles that are not driven on a regular bases have an electric pump. They are usually wired through some sort of a switch. It's used when you first try to start the car after a long sitting spell. It keeps you from grinding on the starter until you get fuel back up to the carburetor. Then you just turn it off and run on the mechanical pump. Can also help if you happen to experience a vapor lock.

Burke
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
VTCI #12348 as of 5/4/2015
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

OK, redbow - but this one is definitely not vintage (must be after market add-on - did you see my pic of it, above?)
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
tbird

Post by tbird »

It is a add on it did not come with the car when new.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
MN63Tbird

Post by MN63Tbird »

Steve, the tanks installation looks great! I had a 47 Ford with a flathead V-8 before the 63 Tbird. I had an electrical pump on it that ran directly to the carburetor. It was wired to the ignition switch but also had a pressure regulator in line by the carb to reduce the pressure to what the carb could handle. If I remember correctly it was around 2psi. The fuel pump on the flathead is high in the engine compartment . The discharge was about the level of the bottom of the carb. In that design it was more prone to vapor lock on hot days with the pump being higher than the tank. The electric pump did help on starting quickly. Just a short push on the starter button and it fired right up even after sitting all winter.

For the Thunderbird the fuel pump is low on the engine around the height of the tank. I have not had any problem with vapor lock on hot days. I do see it takes a bit of cranking to get it to start it the car has sat more than a week. Since you have a new tank a new stock fuel pump or at least a new fuel filter at the fuel pump may be good insurance. That old electric pump looks like it has seen its better days. I saw Karl was having fun with that fuel pump job a coupe weeks ago.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
1966 Mustang Coupe A code
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Yes, MN63, I'm afraid that I am in store for a replacement fuel pump? - not terribly expensive and I did read about the problems in getting an old canister off - is the fuel pump on the right or left of engine? I believe my shop manual says left, but would that be from FACING the car, i.e. passenger side? (which is doubtful, because the gas line comes from driver side of tank and underbody)
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
tbird

Post by tbird »

The left side of the car is when you are sitting in the drivers seat, the car is what is referred to a left hand drive and the engine fuel pump is mounted on that side of the engine.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Thanks, tbird! (that's what I figured)
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

Well, to close out this thread - my #1 son came over today and we finished up the gas tank - installed the replacement filler tube and connected the gas line. Then we jacked up the car, and verified that the line ran from the tank to the mechanical fuel pump (recall that there was an aftermarket electric pump at the tank, which I removed). so I decided to roll the dice - we put a few gallons in the tank and turned her over for several minutes.

But no luck - No gas is getting to the carb, so I guess next step is to replace the old mechanical pump?

I have seen the other thread here, about fuel pump & line replacement, so I will re-visit that, and I'll start a new thread with my results (that will be more readily searchable).

Thanks again, for you guys who gave me the valuable advice and instructions on my tank replacement job!
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N