Parking break release handle

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Krubba

Parking break release handle

Post by Krubba »

Curious what the manual parking brake release handle looks like. I just have a little stub, looks like there should be a handle that slides over, but I can't seem to find one to buy.

Is this just a generic handle? Could some take a pic of it for me?

Klaus
1965 Thunderbird - Grinding is penance for bad welds!
VTIC member #12304
tbird

Re: Parking break release handle

Post by tbird »

That is the handle, not easy to release when the brake is on hard I have used vice grips at times.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Krubba

Post by Krubba »

So there was no actual handle? Strange...
Klaus
VTIC member #12304
paulr

Post by paulr »

I've worked on a few of these. That's it right there. Not a beauty contest winner, for sure.

If you get your vac-release restored (via neutral safety switch), you'll never have to use it. I've said it before, that vacuum brake release is the handiest thing on the whole car, works beautifully. I wish they had put one of those on all my other vehicles.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Looking at my 63 the "U" shaped stub is similar - it looks as if the handle was was just not crimped into the slot when the Vacuum release was used. Could a 61 - 63 release handle be added??
Last edited by Joe Johnston on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Krubba

Post by Krubba »

I actually did replace the vacuum canister for release as well, just figured I should fix the handle as well. Guess there's nothing to fix, yay! :D
Klaus
VTIC member #12304
Art Brockway

Post by Art Brockway »

Hello, a note to let you know that I pulled my parking brake assy as it was rusted to the point I could not move it. Using some heat, my bench vice, and penetrating oil, I was able to get it to move. I painted it and lubed it also. I had a piece of rod, about six inches long welded to the manual release and added a little rubber cup to the end of the rod. I reinstalled every thing and it works perfectly! I was not interested in the vacuum release at all and I ignored it. I know that by revising the manual release that it will always work every time and I don't have be concerned about any vacuum leaks. http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... 0f9ee7bec3#
greglilley

Post by greglilley »

Just stepped on mine for the first time last weekend and suspected this lever would be the release, but... a few head scratches and a small pry bar later, I got the brake off. Is the vac. operated release button that small, square, unlabelled chrome button on the side of the console between the seats (1966)? It's the only one I've not figured out (new Bird owner). Nice idea on the mod!
mnpetri

Post by mnpetri »

there is no "button" for the vacuum release... it's "automatic".
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

The "Parking brake/emerg brake) is a vacuum released foot pedal, actuated by the Neutral Start Switch, on the steering column. The mechanical lever you are seeing /using is an override or additional release. By moving the handle it trips the rachet pawl to let the locking teeth to disengage.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
turk45

Post by turk45 »

Hi Greg. The button on the console that you are referring to activates the Highway Pilot (cruise control). I was having trouble with my brake release also. My temporary solution was to place a short length of 1/2" copper plumbing pipe over the small lever and tap it on. This allowed me to use the parking brake untill I got the vacuum repaired. Mike.
Mike
1966 Landau
Burgundy Q code
TbirdIntender

Post by TbirdIntender »

Well, I now have this problem. Probably I'm being dense, but despite the good info here, I haven't been able to make the manual release work.

Can somebody tell me if the release is the A or the B thing in this picture? And then whether it goes up or down, or in or out, or what to release? I don't want to force something and break it.

Thanks!
Attachments
StuckParkingBrakePicture.jpg
1966 Town Hardtop in sapphire blue
VTCI #13000
paulr

Post by paulr »

It’s “A” , and you can’t break it.

It pushes down, er, toward the floor, and like others have said takes a lot of force. It really oughta have a handle a guy can grab. When I first had to use mine to get things operating I had some success stepping on the pedal as hard as I could thus removing some pressure from the lever, and using a 2x2 to push the lever, then releasing the pedal with my foot.

After that I restored the original vacuum lines to spec, restored a working neutral switch and the auto feature immediately resumed and I’ve never touched that lever again. Not much work for an efficient little system. Good luck! 👍🏻
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Maybe try pushing down on the pedal with your foot and then pulling lever.
tbird

Post by tbird »

This being in the 64-66 area of the forum I assume that is what you are working on. If so they have automatic parking release built in from the factory, When You Move your shift leaver from park to any gear the Vacuum System will will release the vacuum in the diaphragm canister will release the petal and the it will come back to the top of its stroke.

If everything is connected and adjusted correctly and you have vacuum to the parking brake control. it will release itself.The vacuum supply should be routed to the neutral safety switch installed on the steering column just above the drivers feet, from there a hose goes to the parking brake diaphragm.

Get out the shop manual and owners manual and it will explain the system.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars