63 disc/disc master cylinder issue..

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

Rick G

63 disc/disc master cylinder issue..

Post by Rick G »

Am doing 4 wheel discs conversion on my 63 using 65 front spindles and calipers and a
rear discs kit that uses the small cailpers in the rear. A Wilwood proportioning valve will
balance front to rear.

I purchased a Booster/master cylinder combo from Bobs Bird House, bit I think the master cylinder
it came with is geared for disc/drums. I got a disc/disc master cylinder from CPP, but apparently it is too
long and hits the shock tower.

So, am seeking shorter length master cylinder that I know is for disc/disc. I could put in the one that does fit and hope it works,
but am having a shop do this and am on a budget. Also don't want to risk the car if it does not work.

Can anyone on here running a brakes conversion recommend a master cylinder that will clear the shock tower?

Thanks,

Rick G
Kent, WA
Rick G

Re: 63 disc/disc master cylinder issue..

Post by Rick G »

**Update**

So apparently the corvette style master cylinder is an inch wider the normal, not
leaving enough clearance for the brake line to go into the front port as the shock tower
is in the way.

Changing to different master cylinder that is narrower should fix.
62birdman

Post by 62birdman »

Wildwood has a master cylinder that allows you to use either side to hook your lines up to, this might solve some of your problems. If you are using a disc/disc master, you may not need the proportioning valve. Good luck.
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

I thought that a proportioning valve is necessary to balance front to rear
because the fronts need to "grab" before the rears, regardless of disc/drums vs disc/disc.

If someone can say with certainty that I don't NEED a prop valve with 4 wheel discs
I would be glad to hear them out as it would make this easier..

Thanks,

Rick
62birdman

Post by 62birdman »

I'm sorry to miss lead you on the proportioning valve, prior. I went back and checked, and you do definitely need a proportioning valve on the rear brake lines. Some people put in a metering valve in the front line, it maintains a small amount of pressure on the front brakes so that they grab quicker. I've had good luck using Wilwood products, but they are expensive, check with Speedway motors, or Summitt Racing, they have some better pricing.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Some people put in a metering valve in the front line, it maintains a small amount of pressure on the front brakes so that they grab quicker.

These terms get tossed around alot, be careful. Metering valves delay the front disc apply so the rear drums come into play and the car doesn't nose dive. Residual valves are used for drum brakes to maintain a small pressure in the circuit, often 10 lbs. Using a residual valve with disc brakes will give you smoking wheels in a short time. JMO Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

So I decided to go fancy on the brakes and got a really
pretty unit from Wilwood via EBay.

On paper, measurements say it should fit...we shall see.

Will post pics once shop is done and have the car on the road..

Thanks,

Rick G
Papagary

Post by Papagary »

What was the end results? Yougot pics?
Papagary

Post by Papagary »

What was the end results? Yougot pics?