62 front break conversion

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

novanutcase

Re: 62 front break conversion

Post by novanutcase »

masoncp13 wrote:Well fellas, I'm a freshman in college and I sure as hell can't afford a conversion kit but I can afford a k member and do the swap over summer with my dad (and drive his 66 mustang while the bird is out of commission) and I like to learn new things. And we've already rebushed the front end but want it to be better
If you're doing it for the experience then I say go for it but, again, what you will yield in improvements will be minimal, in my opinion, versus improving the stock suspension. Rebush, HD sway bar, DB's, lowering springs for better geometry, quicker ratio steering box, replace certain worn out suspension parts, etc. Also keep in mind that both front and rear suspension need to work in concert to yield the best results for your efforts.

If you go ahead I'd love to see pics along with an honest critique after you finish.

John
Professional Pic Whore

Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I just wish we had common available quality suspension parts, rebuilt mine and a year or so later boots were shot.

I also am working towards a Jag swap…….but in a 1941 Coupe.
No way id swap my Rocketbird, the stock suspension works too well.
"Keep Cool, Little Thunderbird Ford"
Mr-Mach1

Post by Mr-Mach1 »

I used aftermarket poly urethane boots.
edpol

Post by edpol »

I'm surprised John didn't suggest what he did with that Black beauty. It's the easiest conversion - '65-'66 spindles, rotors, hubs, shields. Direct bolt on. John also changed the lower control arms, but it's not necessary. You just have to make simple mods to the stops. I did that conversion on a '63 I sold. I also played around with different GM conversions, and newer Ford front discs, by fabrication of caliper mounts.
Like all conversions, you'll need to change your master cylinder, and you'll need a proportioning valve. You may want to use one of the booster/master kits available. You'll also have to change your wheels. The 4 piston calipers are quite large, and finding 15" wheels that fit may be difficult. 16" & 17" wheels with the right specs will work. Ask John for the specs.
I found that the GM conversions are much better than the drums, but not nearly as good as the '65-'66 conversion.
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

edpol wrote:I'm surprised John didn't suggest what he did with that Black beauty. It's the easiest conversion - '65-'66 spindles, rotors, hubs, shields. Direct bolt on. John also changed the lower control arms, but it's not necessary.
That's because I'm lazy. I figured "Hmmmm....I gotta break this rusty nut off the bolt. Why not break the one behind the LCA and save myself some time modifying the drum LCA!". JMO but rebuild the calipers if you go this route. Reseal the piston bores on the body of the caliper for max brake pressure and consistency. Green grease the caliper slides. I use Green grease because it is synthetic, waterproof and high temp. Perfect for the environment it will be working in. Lightly polish the stainless cups and piston bores for smoother operation. Paint the calipers if you're running open wheels. If you look real close you can see the caliper paint color that's reflected off the wheel hoop in the sig pic below. Or paint everything you pulled off the '65 before you install it.
edpol wrote:The 4 piston calipers are quite large, and finding 15" wheels that fit may be difficult. 16" & 17" wheels with the right specs will work. Ask John for the specs.
I'm also too lazy to go look up the specs so, off the top of my head:

Brake conversion consisted of '65 OEM Kelsey-Hayes DB swap.

Wheel size/brand is Coys C5 17 x 8

Tires are BFG G-Force Sport 225/50/17

These are the wheel and brake specs for the car in the sig below. Your mileage may vary.
edpol wrote:I found that the GM conversions are much better than the drums, but not nearly as good as the '65-'66 conversion.
Agreed! I've driven a couple of the GM conversions and it just doesn't feel quite right. Not sure why.

John
Professional Pic Whore

edpol

Post by edpol »

If you've only driven these cars with drums and GM conversions, the GM conversions, if done properly, seem way better than the drums, and quite adequate. But once you drive one with the '65-'66 conversion, or any 4 piston conversion for that matter, you see how much better they are.
If you're just going to use the car for local shows & special events, the GM conversion may be a good choice if you want to stay with 14" tires & original hubcaps. However, for a daily driver, or a car that will be driven often, the 4 piston conversion is the way to go.
Andrew7026

Post by Andrew7026 »

When you say 65-66, do mean a thunderbird or a full size ford, because I did not realize they had such large brakes.