1978 exterior trim

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
19THUNDERBIRD78

1978 exterior trim

Post by 19THUNDERBIRD78 »

I wanted to make a post just for that,so i dont keep blogging my original greetings post. Okay so i got my wheel-well trims coming in so excited. But i did have a question about the trim that goes around the flip lights. Are those glued in or are they bolted on. I looked at mines but dont really see where they come off at. Also it looks like theres like a black rubber seal behind them. Mines are pretty old and cracked and flake off. So was worried about removing them. Thanks on advance guys :)
Michael Grajales
1978 Thunderbird
Cherry valley Massachusetts
Vintage Thunderbird Club international Member#12358
BirdShepherd

Re: 1978 exterior trim

Post by BirdShepherd »

The headlight bezels are only attached by means of two small tabs that protrude from the bezels themselves.
Gentle pry them off, being careful not to bend the aluminum tubing.
They can be shined up on a wheel if they have lost their gloss.
Sounds like you are having fun!
Keep us posted on your progress!
Shalom, tim
Shepherding 77-79 T-Birds, Shepherding People
19THUNDERBIRD78

I am but i also like to have things yesterday lol. I've been trying to give the girl a facial lift. My story, Over the past few months been selling things i dont need to buy parts. Alot of stuff happening at once. First she sat for 2 years so i was worried the engine wasn't gonna turn. So little by little i started buying parts like ignition coil, distributor cap to start with. Cause they was not giving power. Now keep in mind my father first bought the car for me 11 years ago. I in turn gave it to him 4 years later. And he recently gave it back to me since going through the divorce process. So its helped me keep my mind off things. So probably a month ago we started to try and get it started. Got a used battery at the junk yard only for it to go bad a month later. So had a family friend work on it and put the key in to try and turn it. I was nervous but it turned, didnt start but turned. So i felt better, couple weeks back we got it to turn on only to start seeing problems arise. Started seeing smoke coming in from the vents and under the car. Thought maybe mice stuff. We later noticed down by the catalytic converter where the headers connect to it. Was bright orange, so we came to the conclusion something must be blocking the catalytic converter. Junk,debris something, so thats the next step get that out and hopefully that fixes the problem. Might need to check muffler but we'll see. So good news I've put in alot of new parts, it turns on,interior is near perfect condition, but doesn't stay on long. So hopefully fixing the catalytic gets me past that hurdle. Then my nephew will prep it for paint and hopefully get some cash together to finish paint process. Its not easy for me living paycheck by paycheck. Going through this divorce just made life harder for me. Having to pay bills she left me with and still get what i need for the car. Not to get all religious, but its only through the strenght god gives me and the support of my church . I am able to continue, and meeting some of you and being a part of vtci has really brought joy back in my life. Sharing stories and gaining knowledge from the forum. I search through all the topics. T-birds from the 50's to present. Cause even though i dont have the same car. Some of the trouble shooting they have, i can apply it to my car. Lol okay now that i finished my documentary lol. On the headlight trim. Where can i find the rubber that goes underneath the trim? Thanks guys :)
Michael Grajales
1978 Thunderbird
BirdShepherd

Post by BirdShepherd »

The rubber behind the aluminum bezels is more than likely something similar to what we call 'ribbon seal.' Ribbon seal is what is used to seal front and back windshields. It comes in long black 'ribbons' or 'ropes.'

It will not harden over time, but stays rather supple. You can use for many tasks relative to your car: quite diverse. I keep some available at all times.

You can pick it up at a local auto parts store.

So, if you are going to paint the car soon, the windshield and back window could be resealed at the same time: two birds with one stone!
19THUNDERBIRD78

Ok I'll make a note of that. Ribbon seal, thanks buddy :)
Michael Grajales
1978 Thunderbird
19THUNDERBIRD78

Is the lower door trim a piece that thunderbirds of the late 70's had or is this custom?
Michael Grajales
1978 Thunderbird
Joe Karasinski

Post by Joe Karasinski »

It's actually 2 faced tape. quarter inch wide and a 16th or 32nd inch thick.

Do one side at a time if you can or make sure you make them left and right because they are different.
19THUNDERBIRD78

Thanks joe :)
Michael Grajales
1978 Thunderbird
Roaddog1550

Post by Roaddog1550 »

Does anyone know where I can get replacement headlight door trim new or used.
BirdShepherd

Post by BirdShepherd »

I have a set of head light trim, left and right, used.
Roaddog1550

Post by Roaddog1550 »

I'm interested , about how much with shipping
BirdShepherd

Post by BirdShepherd »

Sent you a PM.