New. First resto/mod prodject.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Ninjitsu Nick

New. First resto/mod prodject.

Post by Ninjitsu Nick »

So I'm new to posting. I recently got a hold of a 64 hardtop. She had a rebuilt engine but sat for almost a decade. Before the bird sat it had some electrical issues.

So first I got her running. Replaced the fuel pump, rebuilt the carburetor, New battery. Just finished tuning the idle this morning.

The issue I'm having is that there are hoses attached to nothing and what looks like parts missing.

I don't know what goes here

Or what was attached here.

The other issue is I was told it has a brake leak. So I'll be finding that next. Any help or advise during my build would be appreciated.

Tundra for looking. I'll keep this updated with my build.
paulr

Re: New. First resto/mod prodject.

Post by paulr »

In pic. 1 right off hand I see the compressor and service valves are missing, so you might have a couple of pressure lines hanging around. The compressor would have been mounted to a heavy iron bracket mounted to the block, but instead your coil is mounted there. Your red circle is around the remote power steering reservoir. I do not recognize that aluminum-colored block mounted to the driver's fender--is that part of the factory cruise control (highway pilot)? Looks like a little home-wiring by the washer motor. Missing a washer bag.

In pic. 2 a 3/8" vinyl drain tube should be attached to the vent off your expansion tank. This tube would carry water safely past the alternator if the motor overheated. That circle by the choke, it's hard to tell because I can't see the pic too well. Could be the vac line to the distributor, but I can't make it out. Does it run really rough?

Looks like an original air cleaner in the pretty-much right color. That's always a plus.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
dan42

Post by dan42 »

In picture 2, I believe the part circled on the carb is where the tube from the exhaust manifold attaches to the choke.
'64 conv. black on black red interior
64 hardtop parts car
'94 lx 4.6
VTCI # 12001
Ninjitsu Nick

Post by Ninjitsu Nick »

thank you for all the replies. I really appreciate it.

It runs pretty good. But it has a rough start. On the carb one hose connects to the distributor. So based off of what was said it might be the hose that connects to the exhaust.

Does anyone know wh ere to pick up those pieces?
- the missing compressor and service values -
- remote power steering reservoir -
- washer bag? -
- drain tube, menchaned. -
- hose that connects to exhaust -

The car was my dad's and this is how I got it. Lol. I have asked him about a few of the missing pieces and he just shrugs. I'm trying to get her road ready to be my daily driver. Doesn't need to be supper pretty yet. Once she drives I'll take care of the rest slowly. I'll try to get a better pic of the card.

Thanks again.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Well, since no one here has said it yet....You should consider getting the set of recommended manuals for your car now, to do this right. We can help you in specific problems, but we can't see every part that is missing (nuts, washers, spacers, gaskets, etc) on your car that might be needed in replacing the main missing pieces.
Here's a list of manuals I copied that Jim Mills put together for other 'newbies'....
Owners Manual (used or Jim Osborne Reproductions)
Thunderbird Shop Manual (used or Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Body Trim and Sealant Assembly Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Electrical Assembly Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Wiring Diagram Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
VTCI Original Factory Specifications (VTCI Country Store, available to members only)
These must be for your year of vehicle as there were many changes made from one
model year to the other.
Most of these items should be available from your favorite Thunderbird supply house or
directly from Jim Osborn Reproduction, cost will be about 125.00 plus shipping cost
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Ninjitsu Nick wrote: Does anyone know wh ere to pick up those pieces?
- washer bag? -

Thanks again.
If you're serious about turning this into a driver, then take BrianC's advice and get those books asap. The 64-66 Birds were high technology for their day, and though it's complicated, you still need to put a focus on safety; those books will get well worn. They can be ordered from the Bird Nest, or one of the other Tbird parts houses.

Just me, but I'd put the compressor on the bottom of your list. Just replacing the A/C compressor doesn't address the problems throughout the A/C system, and if it's not a dire necessity (like if, you live in Death Valley), you should be prepared to diagnose and fix all the parts of the system; and there's a lot involved. You don't need a power steering reservoir--I see it in your picture. If the power steering works already, terrific. The washer bag can be ordered from Bird Nest or other parts house. The drain tube for your expansion tank can be any cheap hose from any auto parts house or Home Depot, etc. The exhaust manifold should have a copper or possibly steel tube exiting a port (from the right manifold, that is) about 12" long, and a rubber hose that attaches to that and goes to the carb. You have an example of it already: I see in the picture you have a rubber hose connected to the bottom of your air cleaner. That hose is routed to the same exhaust manifold, with a metal tube spliced in (since you don't want to attach rubber to the exhaust). The manuals described above will give you good graphics of what you want it to look like.

I think you might be looking at a lot of new issues as you progress. There's a lot of searchable questions on this forum which you will find helpful. Give Search a try and sometimes you'll find some pretty helpful past discussions that will support your work. Good luck,
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Ninjitsu Nick

Post by Ninjitsu Nick »

BrianC wrote:Well, since no one here has said it yet....You should consider getting the set of recommended manuals for your car now, to do this right. We can help you in specific problems, but we can't see every part that is missing (nuts, washers, spacers, gaskets, etc) on your car that might be needed in replacing the main missing pieces.
Here's a list of manuals I copied that Jim Mills put together for other 'newbies'....
Owners Manual (used or Jim Osborne Reproductions)
Thunderbird Shop Manual (used or Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Body Trim and Sealant Assembly Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Electrical Assembly Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Wiring Diagram Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
VTCI Original Factory Specifications (VTCI Country Store, available to members only)
These must be for your year of vehicle as there were many changes made from one
model year to the other.
Most of these items should be available from your favorite Thunderbird supply house or
directly from Jim Osborn Reproduction, cost will be about 125.00 plus shipping cost
Thanks for that list. I have the owners and shop manual. But they weren't helpful with the missing parts. But I will check out the rest of them. I really appreciate it.
paulr wrote:
Ninjitsu Nick wrote: Does anyone know wh ere to pick up those pieces?
- washer bag? -

Thanks again.
If you're serious about turning this into a driver, then take BrianC's advice and get those books asap. The 64-66 Birds were high technology for their day, and though it's complicated, you still need to put a focus on safety; those books will get well worn. They can be ordered from the Bird Nest, or one of the other Tbird parts houses.

Just me, but I'd put the compressor on the bottom of your list. Just replacing the A/C compressor doesn't address the problems throughout the A/C system, and if it's not a dire necessity (like if, you live in Death Valley), you should be prepared to diagnose and fix all the parts of the system; and there's a lot involved. You don't need a power steering reservoir--I see it in your picture. If the power steering works already, terrific. The washer bag can be ordered from Bird Nest or other parts house. The drain tube for your expansion tank can be any cheap hose from any auto parts house or Home Depot, etc. The exhaust manifold should have a copper or possibly steel tube exiting a port (from the right manifold, that is) about 12" long, and a rubber hose that attaches to that and goes to the carb. You have an example of it already: I see in the picture you have a rubber hose connected to the bottom of your air cleaner. That hose is routed to the same exhaust manifold, with a metal tube spliced in (since you don't want to attach rubber to the exhaust). The manuals described above will give you good graphics of what you want it to look like.

I think you might be looking at a lot of new issues as you progress. There's a lot of searchable questions on this forum which you will find helpful. Give Search a try and sometimes you'll find some pretty helpful past discussions that will support your work. Good luck,
I have searched a few things. That's how I rebuilt my carb. Lol. And ac is the lease of my worries. Just kinda adding to my list of to do. I am checking the brakes and tranny now. Engine is a go, save for the hose connection to the exhaust. Again, I really appreciate all the info.
Ninjitsu Nick

Post by Ninjitsu Nick »

So I'm having anouth issue I'm trying to figure out. According to my shop manual on my 64, I have an issue with my vacuum booster for the brakes. Idk how to diagnose what exactly is wrong with it. Or if I should replace it.

What is happening is my brake pedal moves about one inche. It won't depress anymore that that. Good 4" off the floor. Checked all my drums, pads, and hoses and there is no leak or bad parts. Also fluid is holding.

Does anyone have input on how I should go about checking my next step. I'm just a little stuck.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Do the brakes work at all? Master cylinder could be bad/frozen....Also, Is there a check valve on your booster? That holds the vacuum for the boost.
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
Ninjitsu Nick

Post by Ninjitsu Nick »

The breaks checked out. But Idk if they work yet. All the pieces say yes. But I'm going to test them today.
Krubba

Post by Krubba »

It's sounds like you and I are on the same path! I also have a bunch of the manuals, but sometimes when you don't know what something is, hard to know what to look up!

My brake master cylinder was shot, replaced with dual, couple lines rusted through, rear cylinders leaky, so I've replaced everything except front discs which seem alright.

Also tore apart dash and replaced all vacuum hoses, tested all electrical, rebuilt all window motors. Replaced fuel line and fixed fuel sending unit. Removed rad, gave it a good flush, cleaned up decades of gunk in engine bay that was then easy to get at.

Dealing with electrical problem now where it was starting intermittently, other time solenoid just clicked. Now only clicks, pretty sure it's grounding issue.

Oh, and lots of rust repair. So, happy to help if your into any of those things, otherwise I'm just a babe in the woods :)
Klaus
1965 Thunderbird - Grinding is penance for bad welds!
VTIC member #12304
Ninjitsu Nick

Post by Ninjitsu Nick »

That's totally where I'm at. I'm trying to find a good duel master and booster kit. Or disk conversion right now. I keep seeing abs power brakes, and can find where to order, or if they are legit. And I can't find if "classic disc brakes" is legit. I also see t bird ranch sells a conversion kit, but no booster mc with. Which makes me think the other two sites are too good to be true. Has anyone bought a disc conversion kit from any of these places?
Krubba

Post by Krubba »

I have so much to repair I really watch my costs, so I found a master cylinder on Amazon that fit for $50 incl shipping. Pretty sure I listed part number or link on the forums.

Had my booster tested and seems ok, rebuild was something like $350, so that can wait :)
Klaus
1965 Thunderbird - Grinding is penance for bad welds!
VTIC member #12304
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Classic disk brakes below.

http://www.classicdiscbrakes.com/55-66- ... rd_c68.htm

This link may give you some ideas

http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... =23&t=8899

or https://www.thunderbirdbrakeparts.com/p ... p?prod=697

I've also read of some guys buying the ones of eBay and they have been ok.
Ninjitsu Nick

Post by Ninjitsu Nick »

stubbie wrote:Classic disk brakes below.

http://www.classicdiscbrakes.com/55-66- ... rd_c68.htm

This link may give you some ideas

http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... =23&t=8899

or https://www.thunderbirdbrakeparts.com/p ... p?prod=697

I've also read of some guys buying the ones of eBay and they have been ok.

I've found these sites and am looking into them I'm curious about the legitimacy of these two sites in particular. If they are legit I'm doing to conversion. If I can't find anyone who has bought from them then I'll hit up pick and pull.

I appreciate all the input.