Power Window Stuck Up

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Terry64HT

Re: Power Window Stuck Up

Post by Terry64HT »

If the motor keeps working (ie window keeps moving) after the switch is released then I would suspect the switch. It must be keeping contact after release, either it's gummed up and slow to react or the contacts are too close together. If it was the relay operating slowly, a properly working switch would still interrupt the current.
I know there is some discussion on this, but I believe the resistor in the ground wire is essential to slow the motor down as it approaches the end of it's travel.
Terry
64HT

Phobos

Post by Phobos »

Terry64HT wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:42 pm
If the motor keeps working (ie window keeps moving) after the switch is released then I would suspect the switch. It must be keeping contact after release, either it's gummed up and slow to react or the contacts are too close together. If it was the relay operating slowly, a properly working switch would still interrupt the current.
I know there is some discussion on this, but I believe the resistor in the ground wire is essential to slow the motor down as it approaches the end of it's travel.
Terry
64HT
I my case, i can tell that the power is ”off” when i release the switch, the motor is so fast that it takes an inch or so to slow down- its like driving a fast Electric RC car- it keeps on Rolling after throttle.

I filmed the window operation last year to get help from a friend. This is before i increased the springload tension, so its not as bad as is looks in the clip. In the clip i stop the window by pressing the switch in the other direction a couple of times, and it ends in getting stuck at the bottom.

https://youtu.be/5vqefuPHc_4
From Sweden.

Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Phobos, I really don't think the motor is causing this. The is a 5:1 reduction in the gear which is in grease, and then there are the arms to the tracks and rollers. There is not enough inertia in the motor to move the window an extra inch or so, especially if it is winding the spring on the down cycle.
I looked at your video and my windows are about as fast because they are running on full 12 volts from the solenoid through relays. I think if you carefully monitored voltage to the motor you would find that the switches are slow to shut off. If they have been rebuilt, possibly the distance between the contacts is set too low. Also, make sure you have the correct resistance in the ground, 0.70 ohm for the front windows.
Trying to fix these windows can become a lifelong occupation.
Terry
64HT

Phobos

Post by Phobos »

Terry64HT wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:45 pm
Phobos, I really don't think the motor is causing this. The is a 5:1 reduction in the gear which is in grease, and then there are the arms to the tracks and rollers. There is not enough inertia in the motor to move the window an extra inch or so, especially if it is winding the spring on the down cycle.
I looked at your video and my windows are about as fast because they are running on full 12 volts from the solenoid through relays. I think if you carefully monitored voltage to the motor you would find that the switches are slow to shut off. If they have been rebuilt, possibly the distance between the contacts is set too low. Also, make sure you have the correct resistance in the ground, 0.70 ohm for the front windows.
Trying to fix these windows can become a lifelong occupation.
Terry
64HT
Thnx!
From Sweden.