Could bad intake manifold gaskets cause coolant in cylinders

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

NickQ

Could bad intake manifold gaskets cause coolant in cylinders

Post by NickQ »

I was certain I had bad head gaskets, so I pulled the heads. The head gaskets look great; I see no problems whatsoever.

I did however notice that on the heads, near the water jacket inlets, they look pretty bad (compared to the intake inlets). Could bad intake manifold gaskets cause similar symptoms to bad head gaskets? Coolant in the cylinders, etc?

Thanks!
cdhowell

Post by cdhowell »

Yes it can happen.
Did you ever stop to think and forget to start again?
wabigoon

Post by wabigoon »

Was the coolant in the cyclinders or was it in the valve covers. I had that problem and have the manifold off right now. Going to put it back on in the spring with new intake gaskets and hope that's it.
NickQ

Post by NickQ »

Was the coolant in the cyclinders or was it in the valve covers. I had that problem and have the manifold off right now. Going to put it back on in the spring with new intake gaskets and hope that's it.
Both, if I remember correctly.
kzguns

Post by kzguns »

sounds like you already pulled the heads? if so you need new gaskets anyway for the heads and intake. you can check the heads with a straight edge and looke cracks. put it all back together and see where your at. barring a crack etc this should fix the issue
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

if the heads are off get them milled and checked out for cracks
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!