New member looking for info on 1971 Tbirds

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
dlyle

New member looking for info on 1971 Tbirds

Post by dlyle »

Hi guys, just joined the forum and am looking at possibly buying a 1971 2 door Landau Thunderbird. I'm located in Morgan Hill California.

Looks like there is a lot of great info on here so I'm looking to soak up as much info as I can and get up to speed before taking the plunge and buying one.

Are parts hard to come by for these cars? The one I'm looking at is in good shape but is missing some of the trim that goes down the side of the car and around the wheel openings. Is this stuff that can be found? It's missing both wheel fender trim pieces on the drivers side and also the straight piece in front of the rear and front wheels. Also is missing the straight piece in front of the passenger side rear wheel. Has the door pieces but they look pretty rough.

Glad to be here and am looking forward to learning, Doug
Dansbirds

Re: New member looking for info on 1971 Tbirds

Post by Dansbirds »

Yes parts for these can be difficult to find. When I bought the 70 I have now all the trim had been removed before it was restored. My car is triple black and I like it that way, but a box of mldgs came with it. Im not certain if they are all there but I have a lot. If you do buy it and need something I may be able to help you out otherwise, eBay, Craigslist, swapmeets, and the wanted section on here will become popular stops for you
Have had over 40 t birds here from 57-2004
Currently have a 65,70,and 80 Silver Anniversary
dlyle

Post by dlyle »

Thanks for responding Dan. If you look at the picture of the yellow car below I need the pieces that go behind both doors. So two pieces there. I also need both curved pieces that go around the wheel arch openings on the driver's side. Also need the one that goes in front of the wheel moulding on the driver's side. You can see it's missing in the third picture.

I may also need the rear curved wheel moulding for the back passenger side. I haven't seen the car in person yet but the pictures seem to show that several more of the mouldings are in bad shape.

Did these originally have rubber strips in them? Don't seem to have any on the car I'm looking at and the pictures don't show me much detail. It appears these may be held on with clips and rivets.

1971-ford-thunderbird-2-door-coupe-with-thunder-jet-engine-429-v-8-2.jpg
drivers lower.jpg
front fender.jpg
Dansbirds

Post by Dansbirds »

Just a quick reply till I can look thru them, some of them have a rubber mldg some don’t. I suppose quite possibly different trim levels. I have a pile which is more than a cars worth unless lots are duplicates so when I get a chance I’ll try to make better sense of what’s here. I had a 70 prior to this one and it had no rubber mldg on the trim either.
Davec

Post by Davec »

My 70' never had arch trims either.
dlyle

Post by dlyle »

Davec wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:56 am My 70' never had arch trims either.
The one I'm looking at has them on one side only. It had a minor fender bender in the 80's so I think that's probably when they disappeared from the driver's side.
Dansbirds

Post by Dansbirds »

Here’s a pic of what I have. Not all in the best shape but if you know the length of the missing piece in could tell you if any of these would be the same.
Attachments
D08423D6-BC6C-4D8D-BF05-1E238D23172B.jpeg
dlyle

Post by dlyle »

Dan, I for sure need a curved wheel trim piece for the passenger side rear. I also need the piece that goes behind it running all the way to the bumper also on the passenger side. I believe its just around 35 inches long. I need the vinyl inserts too if you have them. I also need the vinyl insert for the driver side rear piece shown in picture 3.
Missing this one altogether.    It's about 35 inches long.
Missing this one altogether. It's about 35 inches long.
This shows the wheel arch piece that is bent up on my car.
This shows the wheel arch piece that is bent up on my car.
This is the one I need but on the other side.   Note how the ends are pointed.
This is the one I need but on the other side. Note how the ends are pointed.
P1041604_960x720.JPG
Dansbirds

Post by Dansbirds »

I’ll check the pieces I have when I get a chance and let you know. Any ideas on how your going to repair the seat cover? I ask because mine is a bench seat car but last month I went to Michigan and picked up a console and bucket seats, rear also even though I didn’t need it. They are in very nice shape with no rips or issues except my car is black and these are a very dark green(almost black looking) with a lighter green center sections. I have contemplated dying them but not sure how successful that would be on the centers otherwise I guess I have to find someone to make me some new seat covers.
dlyle

Post by dlyle »

Thanks Dan. The plan is to try and fix the seat as best I can. I have fabric and vinyl samples already. The cloth appears to be a very close match but not sure about the vinyl. I'll know better when I have the car in front of me. Sure would be nice to find a good original seat in my color.

I've had good luck dying vinyl so if you just need to do that center stripe I think it would work.
Fabric samples from SMS
Fabric samples from SMS
Dansbirds

Post by Dansbirds »

Well what I found looks like I have 2 wheel opening trim but I’m not sure if they are left right front or rear. One is pretty rough. Of the mldgs I found 3 that are 35 inches long, one looks like a green insert, one looks red and one has no insert. I don’t know if they are left or right. Two are decent one is rough but it is one.
Dansbirds

Post by Dansbirds »

These are the seats I picked up. They just need cleaned up so I’m undecided what I will do. I’m debating if I will dye the vinyl black and leave the green centers as they scream the 70s or if I will try to find someone to recover them.
9192DACA-D406-4179-924A-D732991CF113.jpeg
dlyle

Post by dlyle »

Those look great. Is that a grey color for the cloth? Those have been redone it appears. I would try the vinyl dye first and see how it turns out.
Dansbirds

Post by Dansbirds »

No if they were grey I would be thrilled, they are a 1970s era green. It’s almost shocking in person to see as they just don’t do things like that anymore(thankfully). The vinyl is a real dark green so not to concerned about black covering that just unsure about the centers. When I picked them up I also got the rears so atleast everything is a match.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I wonder if they could have been originally black but time and UV sun rays have faded the cloth to green??
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink