Hood Pads/Resto Opinion

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

BillF

Hood Pads/Resto Opinion

Post by BillF »

Restoration of my 64 convertible is nearing completion and I'm trying to find black hood pads. Can't find where to buy them. Can anyone help??

The car has been restored to its original condition (Wimbledon White/Black Top/Black Vinyl) right down to the scripted hoses, correct tower clamps, battery, etc. I have documentation from Ford showing it was one of the cars displayed at the 1964 Philadelphia Auto Show so I want to keep it as close to original as I can. Saw the car Saturday and it looked absolutely jaw dropping. It originally came with the upgraded hubcaps with spinners. That being said, am I better off using the orig hubcaps or the spoke wheels it currently has?
Rt.146

Re: Hood Pads/Resto Opinion

Post by Rt.146 »

Last summer I purchase hood pads, they are dark with "dark" splashes of white, from one of the T-Bird vendors, the large center piece needs to be trimmed, or at least mine did, to fit, there could be a frustration factor with it, otherwise they look original/good.
64thunderbird64

Post by 64thunderbird64 »

You can buy them from any Thunderbird supplier. My go-to is always the Bird Nest based out of West Linn, Oregon.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I won't suggest where to buy your parts but having judged at several VTCI events, I can tell you there are lots of bad looking pads out there. And of course when they are called out during judging, the owner will insist they were sold as the 'correct' parts. VTCI judges go by the OFS and concours rules, that's the kind/color I recommend you get. JMO Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
64thunderbird64

[quote=BillF post_id=99671 time=1544411730 user_id=4923 It originally came with the upgraded hubcaps with spinners. That being said, am I better off using the orig hubcaps or the spoke wheels it currently has?
[/quote]

Depends on what you are planning on doing with the car. Are you planning on entering it for judging, are you wanting a 300 point car? If you are wanting it correct go with the hubcaps, if you don't care then go with spoke wheels!
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

If you aren't aware of it, the original pads were molded with a crimped/beaded edge. These are not being reproduced to the best of my knowledge. tbird can speak to how he and others have tried to replicated the look short of finding good used originals. As for the repops out there, quality varies so hopefully more will speak up to this topic. AND, if you don't already have a copy of VTCI's Original Factory Standards (OFS) manual, become a paying VTCI member (if you're not already), and purchase one NOW before you get too deep into finding things you'll want to correct for factory-delivered condition.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
64thunderbird64

Alan H. Tast wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:24 pm If you aren't aware of it, the original pads were molded with a crimped/beaded edge. These are not being reproduced to the best of my knowledge. tbird can speak to how he and others have tried to replicated the look short of finding good used originals. As for the repops out there, quality varies so hopefully more will speak up to this topic. AND, if you don't already have a copy of VTCI's Original Factory Standards (OFS) manual, become a paying VTCI member (if you're not already), and purchase one NOW before you get too deep into finding things you'll want to correct for factory-delivered condition.
Alan are the reproduction Hood Pads not acceptable for concourse shows?
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

the original pads were molded with a crimped/beaded edge. These are not being reproduced to the best of my knowledge
are the reproduction Hood Pads not acceptable for concourse shows?
What I have seen are pads that are a brown weaved looking thing, not even close. Also pads that are yellow in the middle, not good. Nobody has the pattern embossed on the outside, but they are close in color (black) and a close to original texture, not something that looks like an old blanket. I don't know of an instance where the black pads were cause for deductions, but I could be wrong.
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Royce Richmond

Post by Royce Richmond »

As for the wire wheels, ORIGINAL Kelsey Hayes wire wheels were available as options in 1964 and shouldn't be hit at a VTCI event.
Royce
tbird

Post by tbird »

The wire wheels are acceptable on 1964 Thunderbirds without a point loss, "BUT" they must be 14" as Ford never offered them in 15".
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars