Rear Lights

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Basketball1234

Rear Lights

Post by Basketball1234 »

Working on removing a 61 thunderbird rear bumper to get it rechromed.

Finally got the outer two bolts removed.

How do I disconnect the rear lights?
ICON 1956

Re: Rear Lights

Post by ICON 1956 »

You need to have the shop manual, see page 14-13, also Jim Osborn's Body, Trim,and Sealant assembly manual page 70. I see that you have only had (2) posts here. There is more involved to just removing the two outer bolts. This bumper is huge and needs two individuals to handle the weight. The bumper is on a rail set up that can be pulled out to a certain length until you reach the back of the lights behind the "Q"s.to unhook the light sockets. Again you have to have the manuals to see exactly what your getting involved in. Good Luck !
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Karl

Re: Rear Lights

Post by Karl »

G'day,
I have a 1963 bird and I believe a 1961 car is the same.
I am going on memory.
As Icon 1961 said you need the manuals, they make life so much easier and less stressful.
When you say you have the outer two bolts removed, are these two of the four on each side that hold the outer "Q" to the center bumper?
Or are they the two stamped nuts or "PAL" nuts that hold the taillight assy in the outer "Q" part?

The bumper itself is held on by two bolts on each side of a rail and two bolts in the center. These six bolts have to be removed and the wires in the trunk near the fuel tank filler area have to be disconnected and then the bumper assy (center part, two outer "Q"s, reversing lights and rear lights) can be slid back and down to be removed. Like Icon1961 said it is a two man job unless you have blocks of wood or pallets to support the weight.
Then you can access the taillights, undo the two pal nuts and remove the bracket that holds the taillight assy into the "Q" part.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop