63 Electric Radiator Fan suggestions

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

omc4u

63 Electric Radiator Fan suggestions

Post by omc4u »

Hello all, I am in need of suggestions from has anyone who has installed an Electric fan on a bird with AC? I bought a Derale twin electric fan model 16833 hoping it would fit but the overall depth is 4 1/2 inches. After installing the condenser, and the radiator there is no way this fan is going to fit between the radiator and the fan 3 groove pulley. Thoughts, and suggestions other than take the AC out is greatly appreciated.
bbogue

Re: 63 Electric Radiator Fan suggestions

Post by bbogue »

You might try Cooling Components Inc. They show 2 for our cars, one with 2 5/8” clearance required. My bro-in-law has one of their fans on a kit car and likes it. Good luck.

Bill

Added by edit.
Here’s a link to a video that may be helpful.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OOEf5VwqMcM
Last edited by bbogue on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

If you’re fighting overheating you might take a read of this thread...rather long.
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... 23&t=12404
Fan and radiator are probably the most important but there are other things that can help as well.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
omc4u

Post by omc4u »

Thanks everyone, I have a shroud on the way and will order a fan and clutch for it.
Gagarin

Post by Gagarin »

I just went through this on my 63. I doubled my clearance issues by installing a 3" aluminum radiator from Wizard cooling. Of course I never put all these pieces together in my head before I ordered it? Duh!

I digress, Derale makes a 16" fan which if I remember right I had just a hair under 3" betwixt the radiator and the pulley, this unit fit at 2 5/8"

Part number is DER-16217, I reviewed options on the Derale site and went to Summit for reviews and the like. I purchased the Derale fan controller but ended up pitching it in the trash and buying a generic fan controller from Painless Performance, my apologies but I cannot locate the P/N for the controller.

Anyway, it all works!
1963 Princess Grace
1991 Alpha Romeo
2017 Fusion
2018 F-150