Another paint question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

wabigoon

Another paint question

Post by wabigoon »

When sanding surface rust on a panel there is always tiny pits. I don't think you can get it 100% perfect. Looking to spray it with DP50
LV. Thoughts on what you would do.
Joe Johnston

Re: Another paint question

Post by Joe Johnston »

If you have bare metal I always spray an epoxy primer because it seals out moisture. If pits show and are black or dark looking, a spot sand blast or an acid etch may be necessary. Black areas are not good at all. After the epoxy prime I like to use a sandable primer. As many coats as needed and block sanding in between coats. I do not like "spot putty" to fill pits. After that a sealer. Very time consuming work and the best advice I can give is to not use spray cans, and stay with one manufacturer through out the entire process to keep products compatible. Ask your paint distributor, and don't cut corners on costs either. You indeed get what you pay for.Best of luck. J
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
wabigoon

Post by wabigoon »

Thanks for the advise and encouragement.
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

I haven't done a ton of body work, but did do some on an old truck I had a while back. The folks (and archive) in this forum were very helpful:

https://www.autobody101.com/forums/

~Steve