3-Way Electrical Connector

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

bbogue

3-Way Electrical Connector

Post by bbogue »

I plan to upgrade the wiring to my headlamps to include 2 relays. Rewiring will necessitate a few 3-way wire connections. Currently, I am considering using “step-down” (larger on one side than the other) heat shrink butt connectors. I have seen some 3-way connectors with the connections 120 degrees apart but the center of the connector does not appear to be insulated so they may ground-out. Also, these don’t look very neat or professional to me. Is there a preferred, proven, weather resistant alternative connector? Please excuse my ignorance. Electricity is almost magic to me.

Thanks.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
redstangbob

Re: 3-Way Electrical Connector

Post by redstangbob »

Bill, I've used plenty of the shrink-down connectors, they work fine but might not look so good. The OEM's to this day solder and shrink tube this kind if splice, and I'd do it that way. JMO, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Thanks Bob. Good idea. I watched a couple of videos about soldering a T-splice to make a 3-way connection. It does not look to be too difficult. I might try it. So far, I’ve only soldered copper plumbing fittings. Another skill to master!

Bill

stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Bill you can buy kits to upgrade your headlight wiring. Save you making anything.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Headlight ... 48&vxp=mtr
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Stubble,
Thanks. I’ll check it out.

Bill

bbogue

Post by bbogue »

bbogue wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:28 am Stubble,
Thanks. I’ll check it out.

Bill
Follow up.
I looked at eBay and elsewhere on the Web and found a number of relay kits that might work. I emphasize “might” because of concerns that some kits may require cutting into existing wiring, not provide the correct headlamp connectors, have too little or too much wire to lengthen or conceal, or not be constructed of quality/weatherproof components. I’m leaning towards building my own kit.

Bill

stubbie

Post by stubbie »

bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Thanks Stubbie.
This was one of the kits noted in another post that I reviewed. My major concern with it is that the relays might not be weather resistant, since the internal connections appear to be made during installation. I think I prefer Pico or Hella relays which are sealed.

By the way, my plan is to test my existing light output, upgrade the wiring, test again and then decide whether or not to proceed further with different (probably halogen, possibly H4) bulbs.

Bill

stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Bill this place might give you an idea of the Hella parts to use. I've been looking at upgrading the wiring on my lights for ages, that's why I have all these web pages available.
https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/headlight-relay-kits/
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Thanks Stubbie. The site you noted appears to be a good source for parts and information. I made note of it. I don’t know if it will be “ages” before I get around to making headlight improvements, but considering I rarely drive my car at night, I’m in no rush. In case you haven’t found it, here’s another site that may be of assistance to us both.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

Good luck to both of us.

Bill

bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Update:
After some emails to/from Daniel Stern I was convinced of his expertise. I purchased a relay kit, 2 Koito H4 headlamps and 2 Tungsram H4 bulbs. The kit has relays with 2 #87 outputs which should lessen the need for 3-way connectors. I’m upgrading only the headlight wiring and the 2 outside hi/lo headlights for now. Depending on how the new H4 lamps look beside my old sealed beam high beams I may or may not upgrade the high beams to H1’s. I hope to have some pictures to post in the near future.

Bill