Heater Core Removal, with photos...

This area is open to"How-To" section only for tutorials on fixes, etc. (no profanities/etc.). NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

60fore

Post by 60fore »

If you don't trust a rad shop to repair your existing core, new replacements are available from T-Bird parts houses. They cost about a hundred bucks.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
benelliman

Post by benelliman »

Desert bird wrote:Today I noticed a small green puddle on the passenger floormat -dang!

Thank You very much for taking the time to post images and notes on removing the heater core from an A/C car. I found the thread doing a search for heater core.

I'd like to replace it with a new core if they're available, otherwise I'll take my chances with a repair. I didn't have good luck when sending the expansion tank to a local shop for repair; it began leaking at the seam a couple weeks after the tube flange was resoldered.

Regards, jeff
they are available. they all cost around 100 bux + shipping.
Order from Larry Mustang and Tbird HQ, MACs, or TbirdHQ
FPA headers
Petronix + FT (NO MORE POINTS!)
17x8 AMR Torque Thrusters
Bosch Platinum Sparkies
Rebuilt Autolite Carb
Edelbrock Air Cleaner
Flowmaster's Exhaust System
1 1/8th in front heavy duty sway bars
Front DB system
Blunt

Post by Blunt »

Well I just removed my heater box thanks to the OP for the great pics. This is one of the crappiest jobs Ive done in a while. I was hoping the 2 rear screws holding the heater core were not present. This would have made it a simple job. but of course they were there. So the whole box had to come out. I have a heater core my father labeled "new 65 t bird brass" before he passed away.
I opened it up and its smaller dimensionally than the OE core labeled FoMoCo. it would go in and work but Im not comfortable using it and would like to purchased a new OE core. Any tips on where to find one??
mviper13

Re: Heater Core Removal, with photos...

Post by mviper13 »

Very nice writeup! Thanks!

I know this is an older thread, but does anybody have a lead on where to find these cores nowadays? I have a 65 with a bypassed core. After I pulled the heater assembly out and got the core out it was obvious it leaked at some point. My car does have AC. Macs is out, none of the other suppliers I've looked at have any and I have no radiator shops near me. Any suggestions? Thanks very much.

-Marty
1965 Tbird Hardtop
Raven Black
Factory AC and Cruise control!
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Bird's Nest has them.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyndet ... b&ukey=805

Often times the heater core is not the culprit and it's the heater valve instead. Check to make sure that isn't the real issue.

Don't replace the two screws in the back when reinstalling the box - not needed and you'll thank yourself if you ever need to get the core or valve out again.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
mviper13

Post by mviper13 »

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated!

Unfortunately, the site says it's on factory backorder until further notice (message pops up when you try to add to cart).

I am completely sure the heater core leaked at some point in the past. It has stains on it from coolant. I also pulled the valve and checked it just to make sure I didn't have any nasty surprises after the core replacement lol. The valve would be the easier part to find since the suppliers seem to be in stock.

I still have some work to do under the dash (on both sides) and I was considering not replacing those screws after the reading I had done on the subject. Those would not be the only fasteners missing on this car believe me. It's probably 20lbs lighter than stock just from the previous owner losing screws!

Thanks again.

-Marty
1965 Tbird Hardtop
Raven Black
Factory AC and Cruise control!
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Go to a radiator repair shop and have a new core fitted to it.
SBurney

Post by SBurney »

I had the same problem finding one recently-none of the usual sources had them in stock, and no idea when they would be available. The local shop wanted $300 to recore my old one. Luckily, I was able to get a new core from Bob Jursinski (440-967-7306). He’s a super nice guy, and he’s now the first (and often only) one I call when I need something.
Steve Burney
1965 Special Landau, originally purchased by my Grandmother. The only car she ever bought that
she thought was worth what she paid for it.
VTCI #12702
Thunderbird Registry #64708
tbird

Post by tbird »

You need to pressure test it.

This post should be in the 64/66 forum section this tech heading was created for mini tech solutions by the author to help members in performing the same work on their car if needed, not for posting questions.

Could the moderator move this post to the proper place please.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars