1962 Conversion to Power Windows

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Sergio

1962 Conversion to Power Windows

Post by Sergio »

Hi, I have a convertible 1962 Thunderbird that has the original manual windows and I would like to convert it to power windows.
Any hints and advices are welcome. In particular, where should I shop for wire harness?

Thank you,
Best regards,
Sergio Pedreiro
stevegintn

Re: 1962 Conversion to Power Windows

Post by stevegintn »

Sergio wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 am Hi, I have a convertible 1962 Thunderbird that has the original manual windows and I would like to convert it to power windows.
Any hints and advices are welcome. In particular, where should I shop for wire harness?
Man, why would you ever want to do that? Lol!
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
stevegintn

Post by stevegintn »

I had to replace BOTH motors on my power front windows for my 62 (and they are still 'dicey') and have not gotten rear windows to work, yet (low priority for me)
Steve G.
'62 TBird HT
'61 TBird HT (parts car)
'88 Ranger XLT
'02 Sportrac 4x4
2012 Dodge RAM 4x4
'49 Ford 8N
GeoffInCarlsbad

Post by GeoffInCarlsbad »

I had power windows all around on my '61, and I replaced the right rear motor. That was a teachable moment for sure. It was quite a trick pulling out the old motor and installing a new motor, especially since I did it solo. It really requires a second set of hands to hold the windows in place so that all the arms can be properly positioned, bolted, adjusted, then installing the motor, et cetera. it was fun, but i was sore for about 2 days afterwards from being hunched over in the rear. (

Taking out the back seat, and quarter panels, following all the wiring and diagrams. It was great fun, but painful.

converting to power windows? I'm not so sure about that. Not only are the harnesses needed, but installing the 15-amp fuse mounted on the floor pan, and runnining wiring all around, back to the fuse box and all....Is the frame/body panel in a manual version even plumbed to take on a motor? Does one need a different quarter panel to accommodate the electronic switches instead of the handle crank?

Is this something you really want to do?

If you are looking for free advice that is worth every penny, don't do it.
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
1961 T-Bird Convertible (in progress)
Love it! ::?
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Trying to convert from manual to power windows would be a big Pain In The #@* = PITA. my question is why ?
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Maybe you can get together with the guy on the 64 forum who wants manual windows and do a swap.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

Thank you for all that respondend.
I am probably understimating the amount of work required and should (and certainly will) rethink the project.
Cheers,
63flip

Post by 63flip »

I know you heard this from everyone else but, "why"? In my opinion that would be nuts. Both of my '63's have power windows and I honestly wish they didn't. They've all required considerable time and money to keep working. Switches, harness' and motors are not cheap. I would fully agree with (and trust) everyone's opinion on this one. Stick with the cranks!
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

stubbie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:35 pm Maybe you can get together with the guy on the 64 forum who wants manual windows and do a swap.
Won't work - mechanisms are completely different in design, especially mounting. Need to stay within the generation ('61-'63), and even then there are differences in wiring, especially '63 with console-mounted switches.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Wklink

Post by Wklink »

I have an entire setup (somewhere in the shed) that I stripped out of a parts car to change my 62HT to power windows.

Then I started seriously looking at the work involved.

The convenience of putting the passenger side window down without reaching over and cranking is nice but I don't think it would be worth the hours of knuckle skinning agony that it would take to do the conversion.

If the interior is completely out and you are going from scratch it probably would be worth it otherwise I would pass.
Thomas Cofield
1962 Hardtop, 'Thumper' Red/Black
1962 Hardtop, 'The Survivor' White/Red
VTCI-PNW
RSSVTCI