Door panel replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

rheckman

Door panel replacement

Post by rheckman »

ImageImagehttps://postimg.org/gallery/11a8b901q/#Image
I would love to say this was easy ,but I would be lying. Before and after
:)
RedBird64

Re: Door panel replacement

Post by RedBird64 »

Wow, that looks fantastic. I'm impressed by how nice your shiny parts are too.
Nice job!

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
rheckman

Post by rheckman »

Thanks,
The panels are repro,I painted them over the winter,4 coats a day in between each.
They fit ok,but there was rework here and there.
Bob
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Most of the time we just see the 50 y/o faded and dirty remnants of what was. Shows how good the colors look when they're fresh.
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
rheckman

Post by rheckman »

ImageImage
Yes the vinyl dyes are pretty good,you have to be patient,some other pics Brittany blue metallic.
jstrull66

Post by jstrull66 »

rheckman wrote:ImageImagehttps://postimg.org/gallery/11a8b901q/#Image
I would love to say this was easy ,but I would be lying. Before and after
:)
Nice job, Looking real good,
Johnny T-Bird
paulr

Post by paulr »

Wow, super impressive! I remember when you first asked about the repop door panels last year. I tried to scare you off with that hardcore post about how much trouble they were but sure looks like you conquered. Gosh, those doors look like factory. A+
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
john6t6

Post by john6t6 »

looks awesome, great colour too
1966 Hardtop Sauterne Gold
VTCI #4065
rheckman

Post by rheckman »

Thanks,
the dremel is your best friend
wallyblackburn

Post by wallyblackburn »

paulr wrote:Wow, super impressive! I remember when you first asked about the repop door panels last year. I tried to scare you off with that hardcore post about how much trouble they were but sure looks like you conquered. Gosh, those doors look like factory. A+
What other options are there? Are any repos better than others?

Thanks,
Wally
'65 Hardtop
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

Wally,
I had the door panels on my '66 convertible restoration project refurbished by Just Dashes in LA. They rebuilt the deteriorated cardboard back side with fiberglass, reattached the mounting brackets, resurfaced the front with factory-correct vinyl, polished the trim, and replaced the cat whiskers. I haven't gotten around to putting the doors back on or reinstalling the door panels because I am still working on other parts of the project, so I cannot say that they fit perfectly, but from everything I can see they should. It wasn't cheap, but not a whole lot more than buying new skins. I'll post photos when they go back on.
Art
paulr

Post by paulr »

cacockrum wrote:
Wally,
I had the door panels on my '66 convertible restoration project refurbished by Just Dashes in LA. They rebuilt the deteriorated cardboard back side with fiberglass, reattached the mounting brackets, resurfaced the front with factory-correct vinyl, polished the trim, and replaced the cat whiskers. I haven't gotten around to putting the doors back on or reinstalling the door panels because I am still working on other parts of the project, so I cannot say that they fit perfectly, but from everything I can see they should. It wasn't cheap, but not a whole lot more than buying new skins. I'll post photos when they go back on.
Art
Art,
This would be really useful information for, I assume, a lot of us. As in, a lot of us have paid for the repops, and then paid again when we invested many intense hours honing them into the superior finish we were promised. I know Just Dashes by their dashboards--first rate, as well as top dollar. I'm not at all inclined to repeat the repop door panel experience again...maybe you can give us some photos when you're able.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

It would be good to know what the specific issues are with the repop panels. What would REALLY be helpful is if someone can give a blow-by-blow, step-by-step description of the process of how the repop panels need to be (and are) modified. Actually, I'd love to have an article put together for this for the Scoop. It's one of those things that everyone complains about, but nobody has taken the time to tell what they had to do to make it work.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
paulr

Post by paulr »

Alan H. Tast wrote:It would be good to know what the specific issues are with the repop panels. What would REALLY be helpful is if someone can give a blow-by-blow, step-by-step description of the process of how the repop panels need to be (and are) modified. Actually, I'd love to have an article put together for this for the Scoop. It's one of those things that everyone complains about, but nobody has taken the time to tell what they had to do to make it work.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14373&
Somebody has taken the time. Not an article, but I recorded specific issues. Perhaps others will step up.
The real problem is inconsistent manufacturing and/or quality control. Others report other problems, as well as similar problems. They vary.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Paul: That thread I had forgotten about - my apologies. With that being said, if anyone can contribute and add to the list of what's wrong with the repop panels and can "show and tell" what they did to make them work, the information can be compiled into an article generated from all the above for the Scoop. Those who can offer assistance - and would like to collaborate - are more than welcome to PM me for details of what's needed to make this happen. Ball's in your court, folks...
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster