Generator Light

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Haz567

Generator Light

Post by Haz567 »

Is there any way to get the generator light to be functional with a one wire alternator conversion?
CSPIDY

Re: Generator Light

Post by CSPIDY »

yes there is, I did it on mine. will have to check when I get home and report back, until then anyone else is free to advise.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
CSavaglio

Post by CSavaglio »

I'm curious too....I run a single wire Powermaster alternator-but-looks-like-a-generator. They said there wasn't a way to do it. I'd love to have the gen light functioning again.
Haz567

Post by Haz567 »

CSPIDY:

Thank you for your reply! Everything else in the dash works except this light; a way to do it would be great!!

Regards:

Hazard 56 T Bird
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

Sorry for the delay posting this,
I purchased my alternator on Ebay, it was a kit made for the Tbird. Came with a mount bracket and a provision terminal under a plastic cover that blended in with the alternator for the Gen light wire. The light will come on when the key is in Accessory then will go out when the engine starts. The alternator was made by Romaine Electric, Tuff Stuff makes one as well. I'm not sure if the light will work as intended, I will be adding a volt meter in the near future.
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
CSavaglio

Post by CSavaglio »

That's kind of what I thought..the alternator has to have a specific provision for the gen light.....Powermaster started selling alternators that have this, but most do not (including the 6v pos ground T-bird one). From what I remember when I was researching it about 3 years ago when I put the alternator on mine, I wasn't able to find a way to make it work without some something already built in. Doesn't mean there isn't a way...I just couldn't find a way to make it work.

Chris