Load leveling shocks

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

goldwinghg

Load leveling shocks

Post by goldwinghg »

Has anybody in stalled load leveling shocks in their 56 tbird. Not sure if it can be done,or if they even if there is any that will fit. I have air shocks,but was thinking about trying that, to see if it would level my car out better. I'm sure my leaf springs are weak,and need to be replaced. My drivers side sits about 3/4" lower than the passenger side. If the load level shocks lift the rear end up higher than normal,not sure,that is what I want. Give me your thoughts.

Thanks!
Lester

Re: Load leveling shocks

Post by Lester »

goldwinghg,
Have you checked to see if the spring spacer is in the left front spring? If not there is supposed to be a spacer for that very reason. It sits on top of the spring on the drivers side only. It is to compensate for driver, road crown, battery, steering box, etc. weight on the left side of the car. If your issue is a
handeling one maybe your anti-sway bar is shot and there are bigger/better ones made for that.

Good Luck,
Lester
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I'm sure my leaf springs are weak,and need to be replaced.
Why not just fix a known problem? Bags won't fix broken or worn parts.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
goldwinghg

Post by goldwinghg »

I agree I need to change the springs out,but for the time being,I wanted see if load leveling springs would help. Just a temporary fix.