correct procedure windshield install

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

richs redbird

correct procedure windshield install

Post by richs redbird »

My 57 just out of the paint booth, now I will have to put back everything I just removed.
For the windshield?
Is sealant used to install the weather strip around glass? according to Body, trim manual page 36 step 11 the sealer is put in after glass is installed, am I correct?
Is the exterior retainer installed with the windshield and weather-strip or after? I removed both at the same time with the glass.
as mentioned on other posts and seems like a good idea I will start at the rear and move forward at a slow pace one part at a time. My intention is to have a great looking driver keeping all original parts that I can. Doing a frame up, including rims and wheels covers. Tried to retrieve all information I can from this and other forums, world of good stuff. :smile:
Richard and the BRNZ BCKT.
1957 Bronze Bird
1928 A PICK UP
1962 M CODE HT/sold
2012 F-150
55Greg&Amy

Re: correct procedure windshield install

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

I have installed several windshields and always use this stuff.
windshield glazing 1.JPG
I put a small bead in the groove of the seal then put the seal around the glass. Make sure to put the 2 lower pieces of stainless trim into the weatherstrip before putting the windshield into the opening or it cannot be installed later. You also need to put the 2 upper retainers into the seal before installation. These pieces will lock over the edge of the glass with the rubber between the pieces. I then put a bead of sealant into the seal where it will meet the windshield frame. Insert a length of soaped up rope into the seal for installation.

I have removal instructions in this thread and you may be able to use them for reference to re-install yours.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8327&p=47270&hilit= ... p47270[url][/url]
Last edited by 55Greg&Amy on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
richs redbird

Post by richs redbird »

thank you for the great instructions.
However I have question, is the upper trim and retainer installed as one piece and the lip slipped directly over and on the glass. My weather strip was so far gone I had to remove in small chunks.

Rich
1957 Bronze Bird
1928 A PICK UP
1962 M CODE HT/sold
2012 F-150
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

After the seal is wrapped around the glass there will be a channel in outer portion of the seal for the upper retainer to slide into and it will hook around the edge of the glass just like the lower stainless does. There will be rubber between all these metal pieces and the glass. Put them in before putting the glass, seal assembly into the opening. There will be 5 clips that slide into the upper stainless trim that will hook onto the upper retainer after the glass and side trims are installed. This piece is probably the hardest part to install. Start at one end with a helper and push the stainless at each clip into the retainer a little at a time until you can get all 5 hooked. This piece alone took me and my Brother in Law about 30 minutes.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
Pcahill42

Post by Pcahill42 »

Can the upper retainer be installed after the windshiedl is installed within the gasket and frame.
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

I've put the upper retainer in after install 1 time but is was verrrrry difficult and bends easily. After that struggle I learned to put the retainer into the seal before the windshield goes in. The lower outside stainless trim absolutely has to go in the seal before installing the glass into the opening.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
GeeWhat57?

Post by GeeWhat57? »

This article from the Nebraskaland CTCI Club seems pretty thorough. Give it a read.

http://nebraskalandtbirds.org/sitebuild ... cement.pdf
"I'm too old for this. But then I always was!"
The Colonel in Meet John Doe.
Jeff & June
Friendsville, Tennessee
Pcahill42

Post by Pcahill42 »

Thank you