Repro door panels

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

rheckman

Repro door panels

Post by rheckman »

Has anyone bought repro panels for 65?
I just got some,look nice but haven't fitted yet,but it looks like the mirror toggle socket insert is
Out of correct location,I have toggle and bezel ring assy,and can't get it to go...
Anyone?
Thanks
Bob H
paulr

Re: Repro door panels

Post by paulr »

I Installed '64MY panels. Only difference, I guess, is no door-pulls on '64.
The misplaced remote mirror control toggle was the most obvious oops. On my door panel, it accepted my mirror toggle assembly--the fit was good--but it places the bezel about 3/8" away from the aluminum door trim. Since the bezel is flattened on one side (as it was made to fit flat against that door trim) this looks incorrect, but what choice do you have. Is that the problem with yours?

Good luck with your door panels. The mirror toggle problem was the easiest to address, for me; I just put it in where they punched the hole. Other fitment problems were several and infuriating. In the end, they look nice, but a judge could pick out the issues right away.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Paul, get that car out of the rain this instant!
rheckman

Post by rheckman »

On mine it looks like there is a separate plastic hole guide fastened on the inside,
But it doesn't look like it's aligned properly,as well as being too long,causing thevtoggle assy to not
Be able to be capture by bezel collar on the interior side.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Paul, pls enlighten us all, of the other various mistakes/fitments of the panels, that you came across. Inquiring minds want to know.

W
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
tbird

Post by tbird »

Paul
Assume that what you have are Landau panels with a little customizing?
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
paulr

Post by paulr »

tbird wrote:Paul
Assume that what you have are Landau panels with a little customizing?
Yes, Jim. My factory "walnut" wrap was badly sun-damaged. I sampled several 3M products and none of them were as good as the original; I chose the brushed aluminum until such time as I can find unfaded originals. Console parts also in aluminum.
RAVEN wrote:Paul, pls enlighten us all, of the other various mistakes/fitments of the panels, that you came across. Inquiring minds want to know.
W
Wally, here's the door panel rant. I love all the Tbird projects I've ever done: brakes, suspension, electrical, steering, A/C, you name it. Except one. Door panels were the awful, evil exception; this is the story:
Good points:
-The one-piece molded plastic is heavy, dense and very sturdy. Looks like it will last much longer than factory cardboard.
-Vinyl overlay is well-adhered, a good quality, and close in texture to original (white or black available; I did not have to paint mine)
-Except for Rheckman's complaint, the pre-cut hole for the remote toggle was a good fit, but mis-located. (see above photo)
-Door handle hole is oversized, so handle placement was easy, and hole was covered by aluminum trim. All other holes cut by you.

Bad points:And I mean cursing and hitting stuff-type points
-Panel was 3/16" too short by width, meaning the panel side screw holes (which you must drill) will miss the door holes on one side or the other. You must choose to drill new screw holes on one side of your door. I chose the inside being the less visible side. This is horribly unacceptable for $600. (Photo taken before I filled and primed the factory holes.)
-The profile (photo below) is contoured so wrong that it stands out way too far, leaving no stem for the vent crank to grab. You have to push like hell (remember how strong I said the plastic was) to get the crank in far enough to bite. Then, once fastened, it's pressing the vinyl so tightly it needs to be lubed so it won't tear it (observe damage from opening the vent window). Epic failure. Totally unacceptable.
-Top edge contouring is not a precision match to the metal framework--close, but not close enough. You can force things, but then you will be spending hours and days fussing with the window felts, and window adjustment to get fit and clearance issues resolved. In addition, the lock knob hole is misplaced requiring precision surgery (I used a Dremel) to allow the door locks to function.

(FWIW, this comes second-hand from a man who has installed a number of these door panels on many 64-66 Tbirds over the years:) He says the problems with each door panel are different from set to set, but they are all problematic. He actually believes the factory delivers first, second, and possibly third rate products all being sold as one grade for the same price. Some are better, some are worse.

I don't know about all that, but mine came with no less than 4 stickers on each panel that said something funny like "No. 1 best lucky quality"..no bull. I got the distinct feeling that the people who "made" these panels have never seen a Tbird in their entire life, not even in pictures. Yes, I'm a little bitter about this experience, but it was a long time ago, it was a big pain in the @$$, it turned out as well as it could, and they are quite strong and durable, I'll say that. Don't look bad, either. That answer your inquiring mind, Wally?
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Yes thanks, and I have heard of other non noted issues. Yours sounds frustrating, but in line with comments I have heard.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

I bought a set of door panels last year. I noted they had a quality AAA sticker on them. I hope that is correct and i don't have your problems Paul. I also saw that you don't have any flutes along the top of the panel like the ones in my 64. Or do you have a landau?
paulr

Post by paulr »

stubbie wrote:I bought a set of door panels last year. I noted they had a quality AAA sticker on them. I hope that is correct and i don't have your problems Paul. I also saw that you don't have any flutes along the top of the panel like the ones in my 64. Or do you have a landau?
Sorry Stubbie, missed this question somehow. Yes, it's a Landau hardtop, so the door panels aren't ribbed. Also, Landaus should have woodgrain vinyl, but mine were badly sunburned, so I switched them to aluminum until I can find a quality woodgrain vinyl to work with.

I really hope you will share your story with us when you launch the door panel project--ups and downs, successes, challenges, etc. People pay a lot of cabbage for these things and I've never yet heard anyone say the job was fast and easy. Maybe you can be the first!

And mine said AAA, as well. Sheesh!
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

yea same sizing issue here on a 1966 landau,many hours with a dremel and many many cuss words.
JBird66

Post by JBird66 »

Same issues as Paul on my 66. Although the passenger side fit a little better on the length.
Regards, Joe B.
Hamilton, Ontario
'Nothing is as far away as a minute ago' J.Bishop
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Is this the sort of 3m your after Paul. This car belongs to a guy here in Aust. He got the 3m wrap off eBay in Turkey.
https://servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=762&u=17303777
paulr

Post by paulr »

stubbie wrote:Is this the sort of 3m your after Paul. This car belongs to a guy here in Aust. He got the 3m wrap off eBay in Turkey.
https://servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=762&u=17303777
I've seen that car before--wowie! what a looker. Would be fun to ride in that girl. No, however, I'm in search of original '64 style undistressed "woodgrain" factory panels; they don't have that kind of gloss finish.

A couple of the wraps 3M provided come close in appearance and finish, but 3M hasn't produced the grain the way Ford did it. It really was a unique treatment. Holding out for salvaged originals.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
Patdown45

Post by Patdown45 »

I spent 6 unsuccessful hours yesterday trying to get the remote mirror controls installed on my replacment drivers door panel. The plastic and vinyl seem to be too thick to allow both parts to engage the threads while the cables are attached. If I disconnect the 3 cables I may succeed in installing the toggle but I am afraid I will not be able to reattach the cables on such a short reach, but at this point I am willing to try anything!