Carb issues update

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

gyoungwolf

Carb issues update

Post by gyoungwolf »

I continue to grind through and learn about our 4100 carb through trial and error. Luckily I have a spare to work on, and what I found might be useful to know for others. I discovered that my carb had a blown power valve (gas on the outside of it), was missing both float assist springs, the accelerator pump discharge ball weight and the air distribution plate. The secondary pump valve was very weak, and I discovered that the pump is not included in major rebuild kits, but can still be ordered separately, as can just about every other part except those that are castings (good news). Many of the parts for the 2100 series seem to be interchangeable. I was trying to determine the correct power valve size and learned that most kits contain one with a 6.5 or 7.5 rating. Generic kits seem to all have a .101" fuel inlet seat, but the are also available in .096", which would seem to be for the 1.08 carbs. I have decided to use the larger (600 cfm) 1.12 on my '62 as the standard 480 cfm seems undersized for a big Ford engine.
Happy New Year,
Grant
"The Carbmeister"
1962 Light Blue Convertible
1972 Caddy Hearse (for sale)
2005 Jag XK8 Convertible
2006 Silverado RST Intimidator SS