65 thunderbird speedometer not working

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

T.A.O.T

65 thunderbird speedometer not working

Post by T.A.O.T »

Hi,

First of all, i'm new on this forum so let me introduce myself:
My name is Arthur, 26 years old (27 next month) and i'm from the Netherlands. Last week my dream Finaly came true, buying a real american classic cruiser with a beautifull american V8 muscle. It became a beautifull Ford Thunderbird from 1965. I just love this car!! Technically speaking, i'm still a noob, so there are lots and lots of things to learn for me. But that won't stop me. I will have to wait for a few weeks before ive got this beauty in my possession but i already am looking for some information about a few problems and my search for some spare parts can already start. So that when i Finaly got the car on my driveway i immediatly can start using the tools.

Well... moving on to the 'problem'

For some reason the speedometer on this 1965 T-bird is not working. The speedometer itself seems to be working as you can get the red line moving manually when you move something behind the speedometer (According to the seller). Well now a quick search told me this might be a cable problem. Is this the only option or is there another part in the system which can cause this problem?

I already went out looking for a new cable to set between the speedometer and the (i guess) transmission?? I found just the inner cable. It should to be an easy job to remove the inner cable from the outer cable and put the new inner cable in the outer cable again, at least that's what i read about it. So i already started looking and trying to find specific info about it but i cannot find out how to repair this problem. Can someone tell me more about this? Tips or information? What is the best way to replace this cable?

Greetings,
Arthur
The Netherlands
Last edited by T.A.O.T on Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur

Finaly my first american classic: 1965 Ford Thunderbird 390 CUI matching numbers
paulr

Re: 65 thunderbird speedometer not working

Post by paulr »

Hola Arthur!

Welcome, and everyone here looks forward to seeing a picture of your car when you get it.

First bet is the cable is causing your problem...there are other parts also but, if servicing the cable does the job then you've solved it starting with the easy stuff. The cable only pulls out from the top end. When you pull your old cable out, inspect it for cleanliness. If it appears rather dirty and sticky you may consider also cleaning the cable housing (outer cable) but it may not be needed. Regardless, properly lube your new cable and gently feed it down the housing until you feel the squared end slip into the drive gear. Then screw the top end into the speedometer and hopefully that does it.

Living in Europe you will absolutely want to own a small library of official Tbird manuals that are specific to your 65. The Ford shop manual, the Osborne electric and body manuals are the basics and will give you substantial help with your repair; they don't cost much. There are other manuals too; pretty soon Jim Mills will list them all for you. Jim speaks the truth!

If the cable replacement does not finish the job, there are next steps to follow; just check back here. Good luck,
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
tbird

Post by tbird »

Arthur
Welcome to the forum and to the world of Thunderbirds, paul has already given you the starting point in troubleshooting your speedometer problem and here is the list of books he mentioned.

Owners Manual (used or Jim Osborne Reproductions)
Thunderbird Shop Manual (used or Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Body Trim and Sealant Assembly Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Electrical Assembly Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
Wiring Diagram Manual (Jim Osborn Reproductions)
VTCI Original Factory Specifications (VTCI Country Store, available to members only)
These must be for your year of vehicle as there were many changes made from one
model year to the other.
Most of these items should be available from your favorite Thunderbird supply house or
directly from Jim Osborn Reproduction, cost will be about 125.00 plus shipping cost
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
mnpetri

Post by mnpetri »

I will watch to see what other answers you get and hope to hear the final resolution.

FWIW, I replaced the complete cable and gear in the trans on our car and the speedometer still doesn't work... altho it does move around some of the time, it is neither consistent or accurate.

Good luck :smile:
Mark
VTCI # 11024
65 Special Landau #1485
66 Sunbeam Tiger
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Hey HOE! if anyone has experience with the drum speedo s its Paulr. He and I have bounced around the trouble shooting his 64 Landau unit for a small while. Paulr has been around the block on this subject and is more up to date on its trials and tribulations than anyone else I know of currently. If Paul is willing and I backing him up, ask away and we will tell you what he/we knows. (If thats ok with you Paul)
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
T.A.O.T

Post by T.A.O.T »

@ Paul:

Thank you for the warm welcome and for the usefull description about how to work this repair. Let's hope the speedometer is in a good mood and will respond on the easy solution ar first aim. Am i right when i say that the dashboard will need to be dismounted party in order to gain access to the speedometer cable? Or is there some trick that allows me to replace the cable from underneath the dashboard at the speed and brake pedals without having to pull out a part of the dash?

@Jim:
Thank you also for the warm welcome and the usefull list of books that will tell and learn me all about maintenance and reapair of a 65 Tbird. I have to say i've put all the money i was able to spent in buying this car so i will have to wait for a little while before i am able to buy the list of books you mentioned, but i will buy them, that's for sure! Luckely i did get the shop manual with the car so that's one less thing to worry about and it seems to be a very helpfull book as i was walkin through it.

@RAVEN & Mark
Thank you also for your helpfull information, i will keep you guys updated about fixing this problem. As i was mentioning before i do not have the car in my possession yet. I will have to be patiënt for a few weeks and it's worth it. But believe me, it's hard to wait for your dream ride to arrive..

I'll keep you guys posted!! And thanks a lot for the usefull information so far!!
Arthur

Finaly my first american classic: 1965 Ford Thunderbird 390 CUI matching numbers
T.A.O.T

Post by T.A.O.T »

Well here it is: (some pics from the sellers advertisement and pics i shot myself)

Original color (it has been repainted), engine is matching number, all new transmission, completely restored/rebuilt. Very Well documented: photo story about the restauration, every bill has been saved. I just love this beauty. Can u see why i hate waiting for it to arrive? :mrgreen:
Arthur

RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Like the photos. Looks like a solid car. If I see the interior photo right, it has an 8 trac player also. Gotta love the old technology.
1964 Red Convertible
tbird

Post by tbird »

Looks like a AM/FM to me 65's did not have 8 tracks but with the right 66 dash trim pieces a 66 unit could be installed.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
paulr

Post by paulr »

T.A.O.T wrote:@ Paul:
...Am i right when i say that the dashboard will need to be dismounted party in order to gain access to the speedometer cable? Or is there some trick that allows me to replace the cable from underneath the dashboard at the speed and brake pedals without having to pull out a part of the dash?
Arthur, The cable can only be reached right where it attaches to the speedo head. Your clock housing (center of the dash) has to be removed to reach your cable; there is a basic removal outline with some pictures in your '65 shop manual, part 15. Here's a tip they don't put in the manual: once your clock housing is out of the way, you won't have room to reach in to unscrew the cable unless you have the world's tiniest, strongest hands. Take off the radio speaker; it's easy. Then you'll have just enough room to work in there.

Hey, that's a great looking Bird. Incredible color. You did great!
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
T.A.O.T

Post by T.A.O.T »

@ Raven and Jim,

Indeed it is an 8 trac old music tape player, current owner built it in this car since he was a collector of these old tapes. But i guess i'm going to take it out again. Like Jim said, it just is not original.
Last edited by T.A.O.T on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arthur

T.A.O.T

Post by T.A.O.T »

paulr wrote:The cable can only be reached right where it attaches to the speedo head. Your clock housing (center of the dash) has to be removed to reach your cable; there is a basic removal outline with some pictures in your '65 shop manual, part 15. Here's a tip they don't put in the manual: once your clock housing is out of the way, you won't have room to reach in to unscrew the cable unless you have the world's tiniest, strongest hands. Take off the radio speaker; it's easy. Then you'll have just enough room to work in there.

Hey, that's a great looking Bird. Incredible color. You did great!

Thank you for that Nice compliment. It is a great looking car, and the best part of it: it was the first time for me to be finding a car that really looked as Nice as the pictures always make you want to believe :smile:
Thanks for that usefull tip on the cable. I will remove the speaker first before heading for that good old cable.
Arthur

RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Jim I was referring to under dash extra remote tape player not the in dash original radio. Look just below the steering wheel, you will see what I mean. You probly do not remember the fashion craze of the 60s and 70s when the 8 trac tape system came out, as you listened to 78s vynal records and reel to reel tape machines. lol

Wally
1964 Red Convertible
tbird

Post by tbird »

Spotted it now Wally I think I may still have one of the underdash units in the basement, back in those days we where privileged to get a AM radio in our company trucks so we usually installed a undedash unit.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
mnpetri

Post by mnpetri »

that is a gorgeous car in a great "period" color scheme :cool: