Who knows about common parts ?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Chuck Vincent

Who knows about common parts ?

Post by Chuck Vincent »

My question is concerning parts for the first year's production of the "BIG BIRDS" and then the following subsequent years of parts and whether or not they fit into other years.
I know this would not be CONCOURS CORRECT perhaps, but it could answer some of the scaricity of the parts problems.
How could I find this out?
Got information about your T-Bird to share ?
Travlin

Re: Who knows about common parts ?

Post by Travlin »

Chuck Vincent wrote:My question is concerning parts for the first year's production of the "BIG BIRDS" and then the following subsequent years of parts and whether or not they fit into other years.
I know this would not be CONCOURS CORRECT perhaps, but it could answer some of the scaricity of the parts problems.
How could I find this out?
There is a book that a lot of junk yards use that tells them what you're asking. Now whether or not a Squarebird would even be listed ... I have no idea. But perhaps in an older copy if you could obtain one.

I'm trying to remember what this book is called.
Alan H. Tast

Interchange Manuals

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Hollander's Interchange Manual. There are also other interchange manuals that have been published, such as ones by Auto Interchange Systems in Minnetonka, Minnesota for 1950-1965 and later Ford products.

Other than the driveline (engines, transmission, differential), some electrical, wheels, brake and suspension items, as well as basic hardware, there aren't a lot of parts that will interchange, especially for the body and interior - glass, trim, etc. Remember, the T-bird was pretty much a model unto itself, and it used major components from the full-size Ford, Mercury and Lincoln which at times had to be modified/adapted for use in the 'Birds.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Travlin

Re: Interchange Manuals

Post by Travlin »

Alan H. Tast wrote:Hollander's Interchange Manual. There are also other interchange manuals that have been published, such as ones by Auto Interchange Systems in Minnetonka, Minnesota for 1950-1965 and later Ford products.
I knew one of our resident experts would know the answer. <G> Thanks Alan!

I've also seen a digital version (CD ROM) being sold on Ebay.