vinyl vs canvas

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

richs redbird

vinyl vs canvas

Post by richs redbird »

Will be redoing my soft top shortly and would like some input of fabrics, this will be a show driver.
the difference in price not the problem but durability and looks. What are other folks doing? and why?
It will have white top with Bronze body.
thank you all.
Richard in New Bern
8%er
1957 Bronze Bird
1928 A PICK UP
1962 M CODE HT/sold
2012 F-150
55Greg&Amy

Re: vinyl vs canvas

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

Go with canvas. Cost more but doesnt shrink when cold and looks much nicer
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I always think the canvas looks "classier" and much nicer, but all I have ever had were vinyl. :sad:
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

When I redid the top on mine, I went with canvas. The vinyl I had was very hard to store behind the seat and the creases would never come out fully when the top was up. I also found it difficult to put the top up in cooler weather. With the canvas, it folds thinner and stays flexible in all temperatures with no more stretching it to get the front latches done. I clean it with Griots Garage carpet and upholstery cleaner when it gets soiled from bird droppings and use a clothing lint roller to remove the dust, hair, and fuzz that gets on it at the car shows. Plus like Joe said, "it looks classier".
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
Soonersace

Post by Soonersace »

Im looking at buying a soft top. I really like the canvas as well.

Over christmas I stopped my Amos Minters and looked at their stock. Amos said the problem he has with canvas is that lint tends to get caught in it.. so keep a lint brush in the car.

In Dallas there are a bunch of cottonwood trees... I think the "cotton" makes a few T-birds in cottonwood country canvas top get linty.

Interesting about the easier folding with canvas/vs Vinyl...

Im planning on canvas when I purchase.
richs redbird

Post by richs redbird »

I am getting a pattern here, seems like canvas is the way to go.
Is the installation the same as vinyl? I can see that it would be easier to fold and store away. :smile:
Richard
1957 Bronze Bird
1928 A PICK UP
1962 M CODE HT/sold
2012 F-150
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

As far as the installation, I would assume it's the same for both materials, but I had a convertible top company do the install for me. I stripped the frame down and had it powder-coated. I put all new pins and hardware on the frame then new weatherstrips and fit the frame to the car myself. I felt my skill level ended at that point. I didn't want to ruin a nice new canvas top for my first attempt by putting staples in the wrong place.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Do they make a white top in canvas? I've never seen one, white is usually vinyl.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
WDOMAKR

Post by WDOMAKR »

....I just did the "Stay Fast" canvas top. Wasn't available in white, had to go with black. Issues with lint are non existent. Cost was $450 plus install. I had a professional do the install and it's perfect. Not cheap, but Never looked back, the only way to go....
1998 Harley Springer
2001 Harley Hugger
66 Superformance MKIII Cobra Replica