Power Steering Pump on a 62

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

Klaidlaw

Power Steering Pump on a 62

Post by Klaidlaw »

I have experienced a growling sound when I turn the steering wheel at low RPMs. It goes away as the RPMs increase. Would this indicate a weak pump, or is this normal? I am planning a total rebuild of the front steering and suspension system, this winter. Should I include a new pump? There are no leaks and the hoses have been replaced.
sseebart

Re: Power Steering Pump on a 62

Post by sseebart »

Can't speak exactly to the topic, but on my 64 that low growl means that once again most of my p/s fluid as dripped through the steering box and it's time to pour in more.

Not sure if you intended this to be in the "modified" section of the forum. Have you changed the steering setup in your car? If not, you'll get more attention in the regular section.

~Steve
Klaidlaw

Post by Klaidlaw »

I've checked the fluid level, and it's right up. I was thinking that maybe it was just too low RPMs, and pump was not putting out enough pressure.
WoodlandHills

Post by WoodlandHills »

Perhaps a fluid change and flush would help? It's cheap, easy to try, won't do any harm and, if the fluid is old and dirty, might help.
"It isn't a temporary repair if it lasts." -Red Green
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

Sounds like the pump isn't pumping the required amount of fluid into the system. Not sure how long it will take but I would think that not supplying enough fluid to the system is going to yield additional broken parts if not attended to.

Is it harder to turn at lower speeds? This would be the tell tale sign of a faulty pump.

John
Professional Pic Whore

Klaidlaw

Post by Klaidlaw »

The noise only occurs when it's idling in gear and you turn the wheel. Otherwise it works great. Will probably try and change the fluid and flush it out, can't hurt.
SGTCornewell

Post by SGTCornewell »

i have a complete working unit if you need a replacement.
62birdman

Post by 62birdman »

Thanks for the offer, when I get around to fixing it, and a replacement is needed, I will certainly give you a shout. :smile: