Weight of a '63......

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

VicRattlehead

Weight of a '63......

Post by VicRattlehead »

Is it possible to get a '63 Tbird hardtop down to 2750 pounds? Not using the stock 390 iron block but an aluminum block/head engine.
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
edpol

Post by edpol »

That may be a tall order. IIRC, the stock 390 weighs about 700 lbs. Not sure about the COM, but even if it weighs as much as 500 lbs, that would bring the weight to about 3000 lbs, before installing a lighter engine and tranny.
Will

Post by Will »

My stock 62 hardtop weighed 4,293 pounds. Cutting 1600 pounds is asking a lot.
WoodlandHills

Post by WoodlandHills »

If you are building a racecar, I bet you could get 1000#'s off of it. You would have to remove the entire interior including the dashboard and everything behind it. Plus all the stock seats, all the soundproofing, door panels and insides, all the side windows and and everything else. I bet that if you stripped off all the stock paint and primer and just put on a single coat of color, you could lose 25#'s. You could have a front bumper assembly made from fiberglass using an old one as a mold, same with the rear, it just depends on how much skill or money you have.
Too bad you can't have the whole car acid dipped like Smokey Yunick did back in the day.....
"It isn't a temporary repair if it lasts." -Red Green
VicRattlehead

Re: Weight of a '63......

Post by VicRattlehead »

Yeah stock interior would go but a 12 point cage would be in place. A couple of 8 lb seats rear seat would go just a aluminum rear firewall. Dash would stay but anything in it would go. If hole saw anything that I could. Drivetrain would go too it be a coyote 5.0 and liberty 5 speed. Alum driveshaft 4 link 9" I could probably do lexan windows probably keep the glass windshield. Anything that didn't make it go faster would be stripped out. Gas tank all electrical everything goes.
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
texastomeh

Re: Weight of a '63......

Post by texastomeh »

DO IT!! DO IT!! DO IT!! :multi: :multi:

I WANTA' SEE IT!! :cool: :cool:

If for no other reason than to show them Vette (spit, spit) guys!! :badgrin: :badgrin:

Tom
Tom Hartfield
"GROWING old was GREAT! BEING old SUCKS!"
"Seems like all the guys that know how to fix America are too busy working on old cars!"
'63 TBird HT
1927 BUGATTI Type 35C Replica
TR186 Triton Bass Boat