Sequestial Light Motor Replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

tbirdbrock

Sequestial Light Motor Replacement

Post by tbirdbrock »

Greetings from California......

About a year ago I replaced the motor for my sequential turn signals (1965 hardtop). The blinkers worked fine for about 4 months, then stopped working completely. I've checked all the connections and they seem fine. I assumed that the motor would have lasted a little longer. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Brock
Chuck Vincent

Post by Chuck Vincent »

Brock,
I agree with you, a year is not a very long time. Did you buy the sts new or used ? Have you driven your T-Bird very little or a lot ? At night is your vehicle parked inside or outside (moisture from dew) ? Have you worked in the area of the sts (sequential turn signal) motor lately and maybe accidentally opened/shorted/grounded some wiring ? There are a lot of factors to consider and I'm sure your supplier cannot guarantee his product for over a year's use.
That said, I still would not hesitate to contact the supplier and see what their policy is on such a happening. I've found most of the T-Bird suppliers will bend over backward to keep their customers and keep them happy. Maybe even some kind of a pro-rated agreement can be reached.
Let me know if you've had other answers that were not posted so we all can follow your solution. Please post your response. Thanks !
Chuck
Got information about your T-Bird to share ?
Donald

sequential turn signals

Post by Donald »

I replaced the the stock set up with a solid state system ---end of problem.
Donald
Blown306

Post by Blown306 »

That will certainly fix the issue! Glad you got it resolved one way or another...the solid state unit should give you years of worry-free operation.
- Jeff
President, Chicagoland Thunderbirds

'93 Kenne Bell LX "Putting the THUNDER back in the BIRD"
'02 Excursion Diesel - 2x the torque, hp, weight and economy
'03 V-Rod - No more mod money
'03 Goldwing - My other bike IS a Harley
Donald

sequential tail lights

Post by Donald »

Brock, maybe I should explain myself a little further. Believe it or not, the original electric motor was still running!! Proof of durability.
However, the main relay in the unit went bad so I opt to go the solid state route and it works fine.
Donald
Havoc 66

sequential problems

Post by Havoc 66 »

Hey Brock, I think I may have the same problem that you had. My origional unit is still functional, you can hear the motor runing and clicking away, but no lights light up. Along with that, all of the rest of the back end lights don't work either. I know that all of the tail light wires run through the unit, but I don't know which piece is causing the problem, the motor, the stop light relay, or the signal relay. Is this what your problem was?If it is, where did you get that Solid state piece from? If this isn't the same problem, do you have any ideas for me?
Donald

sequential tail lights

Post by Donald »

Havoc,
I think you have a common problem that we all have with the stock system and I found the best way to solve it is to replace it with the solid state system.
I got my solid state from --
www.tbirdparts.com in Portland, Or.
Toll free -800-232-6378
Donald
kellerseller

Post by kellerseller »

No.. all of the wires for the rear end lights do not run through the unit.
The turn signals and the brake lights ONLY.. First check to see if you have power to the lights. The motor can run without power to the lights themselves. Two plugs on the flasher motor - one plug with two wires runs the motor. Other plug with four wires is the lights. Do you have power to the four wire plug for the lights? Your problem could be the turn signal switch (under the steering wheel).. Brake light power from the brake light relay goes to the turn signal relay and allows the non-powered side of the turn signal to work as brake lights.. Do you have a shop manual or a wiring diagram? Power from the turn signal switch causes the sequenced current from the flasher to go to one side or the other..
Oh! You need that wiring diagram !!
keller birder