Trying to get ready for the New Orleans Concours!

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

RAVEN

JohnnyCog Internationals

Post by RAVEN »

Hows it coming: no new posts recently; want to hear how you doin and would like to see you make the event. I think I can speak for the rest in hoping you good luck. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
JohnnyCog

Post by JohnnyCog »

Thanks for the post, everything is "going" is about all I can say at this point, working pretty much nonstop to get everything as close as possible. One major setback was the period hoses and clamps set I ordered from Concourse parts. The hoses came with old style band clamps, my mechanic advised against using the band clamps, and to just stay with the worms. We put the old school band clamp on and, of course, one side started leaking and really screwed up my clean motor! I have been furiously trying to polish out the stains and all I can say at this point is we have made some headway. Working underneath the rest of the week and hope it will be ready to roll Tuesday morning! I really appreciate all the advice and direction; Bob, Alan, Jim and the rest of you guys have really provided the direction that made this somewhat within reach. I really look forward to meeting any of you guys that show up in the Big Easy!
Beat regards
franklin

Post by franklin »

How much does a BIT of dirt or wear matter in judging? As I type this Im thinking this is about as dumb a question as it gets, but thats what I do sometimes. I know originality is key, but is absolute newness and cleanliness just as important?
1966 town hardtop 390 z code
tbird

Post by tbird »

In the Primary and Senior Concours judging the VTCI criteria is that everything is based on is as delivered from the factory and dealer when new. With this in mind dirt and wear did not come with the new car so points would be deducted based on extent of dirt or wear the deduction could be as low as a ? point and goes up from there, any modifications to the car from factory original are a 1 point deduct.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

How much does a BIT of dirt or wear matter in judging?
Most guys think nothing of spending a couple of hours on their paint and wheels, wax and rub, polish and buff. An hour spent under the hood REALLY shows! You wouldn't want to walk up on this mess would you?
:lol: :lol:
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
franklin

Post by franklin »

Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. Bob, how did you find a pic of my car!!?? Im slowly doing my engine compartment. Got the air filter housing done.
1966 town hardtop 390 z code
Yoda
Site Admin

Post by Yoda »

Congratulations John. Beautiful car!
RAVEN

A new senior member

Post by RAVEN »

Hope you made it home alright. Hope you are glad for your win and the weight off your mind. See what a little sweat and perserverance gets you. Again nothing ventured nothing gained. W err RAVEN
JohnnyCog

Post by JohnnyCog »

Thanks guys, made it home and left the next morning for Galveston for the beach! Still trying to rest up a little bit. Once again, going Senior was nice but the best part of the trip was meeting and getting to know such a great bunch of guys. Yoda, heard you had a problem getting home, glad to read that you got your car up and running and made it home without further problems. You have a very nice car and I look forward to seeing you in primary in the near future! Could not have made it without all of you guys, with special thanks to tbird, Jim Wulf, redstangbob, Yoda and Raven for all your encouragement. Hope to see all of you guys in the near future, hopefully at our regional in Big D. Come on down we will show you guys a great time! Bob asked that I post our award from the show.Image
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

Who has some pics that they are ready to share with those of us that could not make it to the event
Last edited by kevindeluca66 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
JohnnyCog

Pictures from International

Post by JohnnyCog »

I just have a couple of pictures from the International:

Our new senior car on the show field:

Best in Show! Bill's 300 point car!

60fore

Post by 60fore »

Best in show! Bill's 300 point car!
Are you sure that isn't the '63 SR belonging to Jim Wulf?
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

I really should let Jim W tell the tale, but it was Bill's: he displayed it at both Houston last September and last weekend in N'Awlins. Jim did the restoration and still gets to take care of it. I kind of wish I had taken time to look it over closer to compare it against how it showed in Houston. Then again, I wish I had more time and better lighting to get more photography done, but it's hard to stay away from the French Quarter.
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
tbird

Post by tbird »

Don't think that is Don Marsh's 63 his was not a sports roadster or a M Code and it was Heritage Burgundy with Pear Beige interior.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Congrats' again Johnnycog, you and your charming wife were a pleasure to meet. Unfortunately John was busy getting his car ready while some of us ran around on Bourbon Street (right tbird?) I can laugh today, tomorrow I get my car in the air for a good detailing of the undercarriage, this is a sickness aint it!
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop