Right side mirror

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

franklin

Right side mirror

Post by franklin »

Hi, Frank here. The search didnt help any. Are there other mid 60`s Ford mirrors that will be compatable on a 66? Or, what are some ideas to avoid spending around $145 on a mirror? I really need that right side to see better. Thanks for your time.
1966 town hardtop 390 z code
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

From what I hear, a right side mirror (even the correct one) won't help much more AFA seeing better on our 'Birds, especially when mounted in the 'correct' spot.
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
rzcrisis

Post by rzcrisis »

There is a post from early January in the parts and cars section of this forum for a 64-66 right side mirror. Maybe it is still available?

I have thought about one for my 64 but have decided to keep the car original to match the options on the documents.

Good Luck
Randy
Thunderbird Registry #37580
1964 Ford Thunderbird 2DR HT ("Thelma"-our California girl)
franklin

Post by franklin »

Documents!!?? You guys have that? Thats great. I only have whats attached to the car, so given that, it will stay white.
I would like to add power windows some day, but not at a cost of around $900 I have seen so far.
Any tips on less expensive main window options?
Thanks for helping a newbie!
rzcrisis

Post by rzcrisis »

Hi Frank....I am a relative newbie as well. Got my 64 Tbird just last April after searching for the right one for 4 years. My documents are the ROT (build sheet)I found under the back seat and I sent away for for my Ford Wixom plant gate release from Marti Auto Works which shows my options.
You may want to check them out to see if yours is available. They will need your VIN and proof of ownership. My 64 has no power windows and after reading what others have issues with I really am glad I do not have them.

Enjoy your bird!
Randy
Thunderbird Registry #37580
1964 Ford Thunderbird 2DR HT ("Thelma"-our California girl)
Royce Richmond

Right side mirror

Post by Royce Richmond »

Hi Franklin,
My 66 came from the factory with a right side mirror and it was useless. At the last Regional here in Texas I won a raffle for the mirror of my choice from T-Bird HQ. I ordered the convex right side mirror and it works great. So don't waste $$ on a regular mirror, get a convex mirror instead.
Royce
franklin

Post by franklin »

Thanks for that great tip! I will definitely need one, I feel blind on that side.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Hi, Frank here. The search didnt help any.
Going to ask you to try the following search:

Search Query: enter "passenger and mirror"

Search Options: Forum: 1964-1966 Thunderbirds

leave all other entries blank; you will retrieve 8 results including this one.

The first few of these results yield a lot of really useful detail that a lot of our members hammered out over the last couple of years, I recall clearly. Believe the folks who say that the passenger side mirrors provide minimal benefit. The post authored by Redbird64 tells a lot. The search function takes some practice, but will work out for you given a few tries. Best,

Paul
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
franklin

Post by franklin »

Thanks! I belong to several forums and none of them work very well when it comes to search. I guess I need to try more random words than phrases. Since you helped me with the mirror question, any tips on finding custom wheel info? I found a few threads, but Im sure there are many Im not accessing. Thanks again, all!
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I put the repop right side mirror on mine... It's a little better (very little) than nothing but you'll have to do some chicken-necking to see anything out of it because it won't adjust enough.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
franklin

Post by franklin »

Thanks everyone. I think chicken necking is better than nothing. I think I will try to find an inexpensive look alike and use some 3M double sided tape to attach it. That way I dont have holes in the door.
I hope you guys have patience. Im a bit ADD and have a lot to learn about this particular vehicle.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Franklin said:" I think I will try to find an inexpensive look alike (mirror) and use some 3M double sided tape to attach it"
Hmmm....I don't know about using double sided tape for securing that mirror to the car....Just sayin'.
'66 Ragtop, 77k miles. Antique bronze. Brought from original owner. Fully documented.
franklin

Post by franklin »

The 3M product is a very good adhesive. If the mirror works for me, I guess I could attach it more permanent. I have used this on many vehicle applications, but the mirror will have wind resistance on it.
Im kind of experimenting with a rt side mirror for effectiveness before I spend a lot of money on an original.