Using a bird as a semi daily driver?

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

franklin

Using a bird as a semi daily driver?

Post by franklin »

Hello, Frank here. I have an opportunity to buy my late father in laws 66 hardtop. Great condition throughout, with minor issues.Im excited to possibly be a classic car owner again. I have worked on cars my whole life, but have my limits.
I would be selling my current car and the bird would become my semi-daily driver. I live in Colorado so I drive my truck when it snows. My current car doesnt see snow, so the situation would remain the same. I dont travel much during work, and not that much on weekends.
Im really struggling with this, as it doesnt seem right to use a classic as a daily driver. Im concerned about the cost and availability of parts. Im waiting for a Larrys parts book to see what available. I know if this were a Camaro or Chevelle, I could rebuild it from scratch with new parts.
I have 2 questions: 1) Are very many parts hard to find for these birds?
2) Give me your take on this being a regular driver. I have been struggling for a few weeks and am kind of afraid to do this because of:
parts availability.
Overwhelming on going maintenance.
I feel bad using a clean car like this as often as I would.( although all me vehicles we have had for at least 11 years and I keep them in good condition.
This is a good opportunity to get into a nice classic rather cheap and without a lot of work to get it to my standard of what I want a classic to be like.

I appreciate pros and cons that I may not be thinkng about, and value your experience. Thanks!!
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Hi Frank, welcome to the forum. I'm a little torn as far as using the bird as a daily driver, but they started out that way, didn't they ;-) In general parts are not an issue, unless you're doing a concours restoration and need new old stock. You didn't mention what engine the 66 has, the 390 was STD with the 428 as an option. The bird will be fairly hard on fuel, and you'll find it likes premium grade gasoline. If you buy the car get a shop manual, they're re-printing them so they're fairly cheap. Virtually any problem you'll have has been discussed here, help is always near. Post some pictures when you can, and good luck with the Tbird, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

Hi Frank, welcome.

I use my '61 pretty much as a daily driver because I just love everything about it and love driving it. About the only time I don't use it is when the weather is exceptionally bad, which is not really that often during the year. We don't get snow where I live so salted / slippery roads are not an issue so I don't need to worry about rust or losing control on icy roads.
As Bob said, parts are generally not a problem but high fuel costs can be, especially here in South Australia at $1.60 per litre (approx 3.8 litres per US gallon = $6.08 / gall).
Also, being old cars, you need to be prepared for more maintenance than a modern car if you are driving it regularly. I rebuilt just about everything because I knew I wanted to drive it as much as possible and wanted to be sure there would be minimal issues with breakdowns etc. So far, after nearly 10,000 miles since the overhaul, I have had only 1 flat tyre and recently a couple of broken spokes on the aftermarket Kelsey Hayes type wheels.
I say, if you love it, drive it :smile: (unless its a rare 300 point '63 SR) ;-)

Ozzy
"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
1961 T-bird H/T Silver-Gray Metallic/Raven Black roof.
1971 Ford Falcon 351 XYGT-Nugget Gold.
VTCI #11702
Adelaide, South Australia.
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Frank, what is the situation with ethanol content of fuel in CO?

Around my neck of the woods it's still possible to find gas with no ethanol content, but I know that's rare in the US. I ask because ethanol can wreak havoc with many parts of the fuel system on old cars. Rubber parts of fuel lines and older carb gaskets can literally be eaten by ethanol.

So if your gas contains ethanol, plan on going through your fuel system thoroughly to make your Bird a reliable daily driver. I think it's a cool idea if you can afford the gas! Figure on about 8 mpg city and 13 highway....if you can keep your foot out of it.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
franklin

Post by franklin »

Thanks for the welcome and responses!! I have been struggling with this for a couple of weeks now. Im not sure about the ethanol content, but Im going to visit the mechanic that has been working on this car the last 13 or so years and discuss a few things.
There are so many reasons why I shouldnt do this, but Im not done yet. I have been a motorhead since I was 13, and havent had a classic for about 15 years. My 57 Belair turned into a pontoon boat during a weak moment when my wife talked me into selling it.
This would conveniently fill an empty void. I would definetly be spending a lot of time cleaning, polishing, painting, detailing, sleeping with it,,,ect.
I suppose if things didnt work out, I could probably get my money back as I will keep it in the best condition I possibly can.
Im excited to possibly be part of a group like this, but also nervous about jumping into this deal.
I think I will try to borrow it from my mother in law for a week or so and drive it around to get a real feel for this car.
Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

I think I will try to borrow it from my mother in law for a week or so and drive it around to get a real feel for this car.
Frank, I have a hunch once you drive the car around for a week or so, you won't want to give it back. ;-) Hopefully you get on ok with your mother in law cos she'll probably want to go for rides in it occasionally.

Ozzy
"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
1961 T-bird H/T Silver-Gray Metallic/Raven Black roof.
1971 Ford Falcon 351 XYGT-Nugget Gold.
VTCI #11702
Adelaide, South Australia.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

FYI Frank, if you have the car idling, be sure to swing the steering column to the right. A problem with these cars is a worn shift mechanism that can allow the shifter to drop into reverse while running unattended, swinging it to the right should lock the shifter in park. good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
franklin

Post by franklin »

Thanks for that info Bob. Im already researching parts and the fix for that. It does have the wobbly lever, park issues, and e brake issue disengaging. That would be a first. I already lost a 72 fastback vw down my driveway and missed it up good. I hate it when that happens!!
Ozzy, we get along good. i hope to keep it that way during negotiations.

Its things like this shifter issue that has me concerned in part. I can drive my truck during down time, and I know once some things are fixed, it will be fairly reliable. Patrs prices can be crazy! I guess I would be searching junkyards for a compatable right side rear view mirror. Now way am I paying $145 or so.
Again, Thanks for your time and input. if I stay on here long enough and get to know you guys, i may be more likely to pull the trigger,,,,,,,, ;-)
1966 town hardtop 390 z code
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

I use my 64 as a daily driver, but it took a while to get it that way. My car was pretty far gone when I first got it--barely ran, no brakes and some rust through in the floors.

Once I worked through the mechanical issues, it started and ran reliably. I currently have the interior apart for restoration of the dash and the floorboards. I can get by without a car for a while, but look forward to getting back on the road soon.

As others have mentioned, you'll be facing sub 10-mpg numbers and you'll need to update your fuel system to take the new gas blends. Also, upgrading to some kind of electronic ignition will go a long way towards easier starting and less maintenance.

Ultimately, driving a classic means that every trip, short or long, mundane or not, will be a special experience. You'll get thumbs-up everywhere and not a week will go by when someone doesn't stop to talk to you about your car.

~Steve

P. S. Does anyone know where I can get some wholesale leggings or swimwear? Summer is coming!
franklin

Post by franklin »

Thanks Steve. This is tough. Everything logical says dont buy it. But the one pro is "because I want it" Im closing in on 60, ya never know when you are going to go, I miss having a classic, the wife supports it,,,( double high five), And Im resigning to the fact I will be doing lots of cussing in the garage and using more fuel. But,,,, the siren calls my name, and I think Im drifting toward it!!!
1966 town hardtop 390 z code
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

...the wife supports it....
Sold!