New to the boards, not birds.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
95badbird

New to the boards, not birds.

Post by 95badbird »

Just wanted to stop by and say hi.
I own 2 Thunderbirds, a 95 w/ a 351W and a C6 thats being transformed into an all-out drag car.
And a 73 Thunderbird, 460 C6 51,xxx original miles.

Anyway, I'm looking to get the 73 road worthy again. It really hasn't been driven since 89.

The car drives now, I just need to do some more things like brakes, replace all the hoses, change all the fluids again, it needs a little body work. The car has never been in a wreck, just some small rust spots.
I need to get a new vinyl top put on as well.

I can get some pics if anyone is interested.

Also, does anyone know where I can get another brass float for the fuel sending unit? The one I have has a hole in it, but I'm going to try and solder the hole first.
1995 Thunderbird 351W
1973 Thunderbird 460
Alan H. Tast

Fuel Level Sender Float

Post by Alan H. Tast »

If you have a good local parts store like a NAPA jobber, they may have a source for these. Also try Auto Krafters. They may have the float or a replacement plastic one. Universal replacement senders available through parts stores that specialize in street rods, even performance/speed shops may also have sources for these in their catalogs. More than likely, if you can find a float similar in size, and can bend the arm to fit it, it should work.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
95badbird

Post by 95badbird »

Well, I've still got the 73....shes just about road worthy.
I've got to finish the brakes(hopefully tomorrow), and still change all the hoses.
I also need to change the tranny, and rear end fluid as well.

I replaced all the ignition on the car(it still had the original plugs and wires).

Got all the tires replaced.

Question, I was looking through the original owners manual, and it says not to use a lower octane rating of 91.....why is that?
I thought some good ole 87 would be fine, but the book says 91(which around here, that would mean 93)...I don't know....

Anyway, for those who care, shes just about done(except for a new top and paint job).
1995 Thunderbird 351W
1973 Thunderbird 460