Correct transmission for a 64

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

sseebart

Correct transmission for a 64

Post by sseebart »

I've had my HT for about a year now and it runs and stops well enough for around town (though still a work in progress). I'd like to get it to the next level, where I'll be comfortable driving it longer distances.

The transmission in the car is a COM, but not correct for the car. (It's got a low-profile inspection plate designed for Bullet Birds and a starter from a '66. Whoever put it in had to cut the cooler lines, extending them with hoses. They leak, of course, and the lines themselves rub on the lip of the oil pan.)

Aside from being wrong, it's also got about 70k miles on it. Ideally, I'd like to find a good used trans I can refresh and install. Looking around on Craigslist, there are quite a few "Thunderbird transmissions" out there, but no telling what they came out of. Is there any simple way I can ID the COM model for my year?

~Steve
tbird5866

Correct transmission?

Post by tbird5866 »

The Cruise-O-Matic transmissions should have a ID plate attached to the side of the transmission. I believe there is a three letter code for the correct year transmission. Can you check with the transmission shop to see what is correct?
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Planning to do the work myself and don't have a transmission shop I've used in the area. I see the manual has a picture of the tag, but refers to the Master Parts Catalog for interpretation. Not having that, I turned to the interwebs . . .

According to this site (http://www.tpocr.com/fordtc.html) the correct tag number for a 64 should be:

8-390 2 PCE-AU-AUI
8-390 3 PCE-AV-AVI

Assuming the "2" or "3" after the 390 designation is for forward gears, looks like I'm after the *-AVI tag code.

Can anyone confirm?

When it stops raining, I'll crawl under the car to see what I have.

~Steve
60fore

Post by 60fore »

According to the Bible (64-66 OFS manual) the correct tag number for a '64 COM should be PCE-AT OR PCE-AT1. A transmission serial number should also appear on the tag.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

The '64 Thunderbird transmission ID tag should read PCE AT which may be followed by a revision number. This a '64 ID tag from a June 24, 1964 build date car:

The part number should look like this:

The casting date will be on the right side of the case, this one is February 28, 1964:
Last edited by Jim Wulf on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

Jim, 64 production didn't start until August. Is that what you actually meant or did you mean 6/24/64???
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Jim, 64 production didn't start until August. Is that what you actually meant or did you mean 6/24/64???
'64 model year production started on August 12, 1963 and ended July 24, 1964. I meant to write 6/24/64 as you said. As a kid I always felt like I was in on some big adult secret when we went to the dealership to look at next years models before the new year actually began. Kids can't experience that today.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Great--thanks for the info. Of course, if anyone should have one of these for sale--especially in California--I would be greatly interested.

In the meantime, I'll be cruising the want ads.

~Steve
tmjsong1aolcom

Post by tmjsong1aolcom »

I do have several 64 trannies but unfortunately I am in Wi. I am assuming you are looking for a good rebuilable unit.

All the info you recieved is correct. Note that the casting number on the case is C3 which is 1963. But the date code 4B28 is 1964 feb and 28th day. This is the casting number and not the date it was built or the date it was installed.

You can take your build date from the data plate and find a tranny that was cast 10 to 30 days before your bird was built.

There are suppliers in Calif that have yards. Both thunderbird headquarters and larry's thunderbird and mustang.
Jim Dottling has a yard in the Phoenix area.

Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.
tmjsong1@aol.com
Good Luck
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Ok, found a guy on Craigslist about two hours away with an engine and trans that "came out of a 64" and have been sitting in a garage for some years.

I asked him to get the numbers off it before I drive out. He wasn't too enthused, but did scrub the thing down and get these:

PPK765XC
(looks like perhaps a serial number?)

700B
(doesn't make sense, but could be the second part of the build number. Not much help without the decade letter, year, etc.)

DIF21
(I see "DIF" in Jim's post, but not sure what the "21" is all about.)

There was no tag bolted to the trans, so no luck there.

On the bellhousing, he found this nice number:

C1SP 7976

This looks to be for a 1961 Thunderbird. Does that sound about right?

Looks to me that this is not even close to what I need, but I am curious about the code on the bellhousing--did these have a separate part number, or was it considered integral to the transmission itself?

Am I also correct in thinking that all COM's have iron cases? If so, and I decide to haul myself out there, I'll take a magnet along.

~Steve
tmjsong1aolcom

Post by tmjsong1aolcom »

I do not know what the PPK means as when you get into the 61-63 I am a bit lost.

7008 is part of the casting number ID. If he can read this number he can read the rest of it.

DIF is dearborn casting plant. The 21 next to it has never been decoded on any of Ford castings. I am speculating that these 1 or 2 digit numbers are the numer of the tranny in the casting batch that was cast. No proof just speculation.

As far as the bell housing the 64 is not cast iron. I guess they are aluminum or Zinc. Much lighter than the older cast iron pieces. C1SZ is 1961 bird as you noted.

He needs to supply youw with the rest of the 7008 number and supply you with the date code which wil be between 2 screws.

Yes the housing for the 63/64 is cast iron.

Initially thoughts are that the tranny was from a 61 as you noted.

Good Luck
Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi
tmjsong1@aol.com
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

If the seller is too lazy to get you the numbers, let him sit on it for awhile. I see them given away from time to time, http://www.network54.com/Forum/75943/th ... nsmissions! Ford part number will confuse people till the end of time I bet, what you have are basic engineering numbers. 7006 is the basic trans number, it tells you nothing. The ID tag was riveted to the left side of the case, without it you can only make some general assumptions. Somewhere on that case is a casting date, that will tell you when it was made generally. The reason it matters is early COM's didn't have a modulator valve, yours does. The alloy bell housing was the same for several years so a C-1 (61) part could be used on a 64 car. Ask the seller to find the casting date, and carefully measure the length of the iron case, you want a medium (MX) case. You might have to swap speedo drive gears from your old trans, but a mid 60's trans should work for you, and COM's are easy to rebuild. Good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Thanks--I think I have the info I need to id the thing myself, so I'll probably head over on Saturday. Looks like he also has an Autolite carb and an original air cleaner (and a 390 with zero compression . . . ) so maybe I can get some stuff for cheap, even if the trans is wrong.

~Steve
sseebart

Post by sseebart »

Part number on the trans and engine he had was C1A(...), so not a match. Came away with a good (correct) starter and a nice, clean set of valve covers, however.

The search continues.