1996 Led tail light

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1990-97 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

1996 Led tail light

Post by Terri McNeill »

Any one know of a place to get the led tail light assembly for the 1996 Thunderbird? Or is Ford my only option? And do you know exactly what it is called? I was doing a search on the internet but don't know what to call the part! I am assuming you have to replace the entire assembly as it seems sealed.

thanks!
Terri
Terri McNeill, Past VTCI President, currently VTCI Publications Director, Member of VTCI, VTCI-PNWC and Chicagoland Thunderbirds
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

ummm yea... its a sealed unit. ive heard it called many things, center led light, led panel lights, trunk mount led lights. etc.
as far as aftermarket, nope not going to find them that route.
you can take your chances of finding a used one, but you run the risk of all the led's not working. if you go that route, to match the corner lights you need 93-95 super coupe or 96 only lx lights. in 97 they changed the tint of the red to more of an orangish red, its really noticable if you put a 97 on one side and a 96 or sc one on the other.

or get them from ford. they are very pricey
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
Alan H. Tast

LED Taillights

Post by Alan H. Tast »

I recall getting a copy of an on-line article from one of the MN-12 websites, possibly SCCoA, on how to open up the assembly and replace the LEDs. Anyone know about this and how to do it?
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
Terri McNeill
Site Admin

Post by Terri McNeill »

Not that I wanted to hear this......but thanks!! Especially for the heads up on the difference in the years, I would have thought they were the same. Oh well, looks like I have to "bite the bullet" and go to Ford.

Terri
Terri McNeill, Past VTCI President, currently VTCI Publications Director, Member of VTCI, VTCI-PNWC and Chicagoland Thunderbirds