Worn out screw holes

This area is open to any (no profanities/etc.) subject you would like to discuss. NO VENDOR FOR SALE ITEMS

Moderator: Terri McNeill

ward 57

Worn out screw holes

Post by ward 57 »

I've seen a few posts of people dealing with screws not holding especially with interior and especially door hardware and using over sized screws to help secure them and the trouble to make them fit with the visible hardware.
JB Weld is your friend. Fill in the holes and let it sit a day. The screws will now bite again as if it was the original steel. As many times I've had to take off and replace my door panels it's a godsend.
VTCI # 13223
Rusty57

Re: Worn out screw holes

Post by Rusty57 »

There are lots of “tricks” to deal with stripped retaining holes in sheet metal and plastic parts. I have used J-clips, U-clips, RivNuts, and I cannot remember whatever else. A few times I even inserted a short piece of “safety” wire into a metal hole to make it act smaller for the sheet metal screw to grab.

JB Weld is a good solution. I use their expoxy for glass and plastic on plastic parts. Whichever type I use I do drill pilot holes to reduce the chance of cracking the epoxy.

I hate the oversized screw solution, especially when the heads are visible.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I have used cotter pins to "fix" an enlarged screw hole. I used very thin ones, Made both sides the same length and bent the ends over so it does not fall through and then inserted it into the hole. Works every time.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Yah I tried all kinds of shims like paper clips also. With the JB Weld there is nothing to prevent whatever you are fastening down to sit tight.
VTCI # 13223
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

There's always toothpics - something I was taught by an old-timer 40 years ago. I always try to hammer/dolly a worn-out hole first to push metal back into shape if I can, otherwise soft copper or steel wire. I do like the other suggestions, especially the cotter pin one.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

When working with wood, toothpicks and white glue are your friend. But when it comes to steel different techniques are needed. It's the best solution I've found. As many times I've had to pull my door cards JB weld is the best solution I have found. The screws bite and sit secure like original.
VTCI # 13223