trans leaking

This area is open to"How-To" section only for tutorials on fixes, etc. (no profanities/etc.). NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

marks

trans leaking

Post by marks »

Ijust had my 63 trans rebuilt. It doing everything it should do so no problem there. If i run it 2 to 3 times a week it doesnt leak. If it sits for 1 or 2 week it will leak. Some people have said that is normal. I donot remember that back in the day. Any ideas?
Rusty57

Re: trans leaking

Post by Rusty57 »

You might want to do some searches on this forum. I seem to remember that there can be issues with the fluid in torque converter draining back into the transmission case if the car sits for an extended period. That increases the fluid level in the transmission. Sometimes the fluid will then leak where the dipstick tube fits into the case.

One way to troubleshoot this is to first check the transmission fluid level according to the owner's manual to make sure it is not overfilled. Then check the fluid level after the car has been sitting maybe 6 hours and then again every day for a few weeks without driving it or even running the engine. If the level keeps going up that means the torque converter is draining.

The obvious solution is to drive the car frequently!
Rusty
VTCI 13079