P.C.M. Replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1990-97 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
mcm51

P.C.M. Replacement

Post by mcm51 »

For the couple weeks I've been getting some weirdo DTC codes out of the blue, getting some that I should'nt and not getting some that I should....
Long story short, I just got back a refurbished pcm yesterday from N.Y. and installed it this morning, I've only drove on it about 10 miles, I want to drive on it about 50 miles before checking codes but so far my Bird runs smooth, shifts smooth, so we'll see......
That pcm is a lot tuffer to get at than my fox Mustangs, unlike my Mustangs, it's under about 3 layers of plastic covers, a layer or two of sound-deading pads and all pinned down with a couple of push retainers then glove box door needs dropped to get at bolt holding pcm in place.....When I went to put my new one back in, there is not enough wire to plug it into place once it's mounted, another 1/2 inch of wire would have made a world of difference, right now mine is laying on the floor board, I'll figure out how to plastic tie it in a better place, out of the way in the future............
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
'86 Mustang SVO 2.3 Turbocharged
'84 Mustang GT-350 5.0 H.O.
VTCI #12973
U.S. Army 194th Armor Ft. Knox, Ky. 1977
Alan H. Tast

Re: P.C.M. Replacement

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Whom was your source for the reconditioned PCM? Cardone? Other? Inquiring minds want to know...and this sure sounds worthy of expanding on for a future tech article for the Scoop.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
mcm51

Re: P.C.M. Replacement

Post by mcm51 »

I've never bought a pcm in the past, so I searched the internet over and came up with Flagship 1, in New York......I picked them from others because pcm's was their only business, they been doing this for over 15 years, offered lifetime warranty and bragged about their customer service, which I contacted after I received my pcm, I was concerned that the main 4 digit number at the top of the label did not match, I can't think right now what they call that number(numbers and letters), but the Ford part number matched except the last two letters, mine CA, theirs DA.....long story short, I sent them a photo of my unit and the one they sent me side by side, before I even tried the their unit and they reassured that those two units in the photo were interchangeable, and that's what I was worried about, SO, talking to their customer service gave me the ideal that they seemed to know what they are doing and seemed to be good people, I'm even considering sending them my oem unit to be refurbished.........The price was fair compared to others, $160. out the door..........
I've run 75 miles on their unit so far and it seems to had dialed in real well, I only have one small complaint, my idle rpm is a tad low and I not sure if that's related to the pcm or just a new unrelated issue....I'll be looking into that, I can always adjust the idle some at the throttle body if need be...........
I have not checked DTC's yet, I wanted to put a few miles on it first, I'll probably be checking those soon...............
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
'86 Mustang SVO 2.3 Turbocharged
'84 Mustang GT-350 5.0 H.O.
VTCI #12973
U.S. Army 194th Armor Ft. Knox, Ky. 1977