Fuel pump

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

CraigM

Fuel pump

Post by CraigM »

I guys...hoping for some good advice. Typical fuel pump issue.
What is the best way to go? I have a '57 Bird with a leaking fuel pump.
Casco? Rebuilt? Other? Not sure who has the best choice. Have heard horror stories. I am aware of NAPA and other Chinese new units. Any Good advice is appreciated.
55blacktie

Re: Fuel pump

Post by 55blacktie »

Find an original American-made rebuildable core (if you don't already have one) and send it to agrebuilders.com. I've got no firsthand experience, but I've heard that pumps made in Mexico and South Korea haven't had the same issues as pumps made in China.
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

Agrebuilders have quick turnaround. I ended up buying an over priced US unit on eBay. It arrived with the not pulling vacuum problem, so used it as a core and had it rebuilt by ag.
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

If your current pump has hex head or slot head screws around the body you should be good for a rebuild. Those screw heads indicate USA, Canada or Korea. . If you have Phillips head screws, China, look for a different body. If you order a rebuilt pump from Casco it’s a little spendy but you’ll be done.
The companies recommended here for rebuilds would be good choices also.

Like you stated, Napa, Autozone etc. do sell them but it’s a huge gamble. Carters should be verified before shipping unless things have changed in the past year. This is straight from a Carter rep. Have them actually eyeball the pump itself before shipping. Carters will have a tag inside the box stating country of manufacture. This includes China. They’ve had the least amount of complaints on the Mexico pumps.
CraigM

Post by CraigM »

I have tried several times to connect with AG Rebuilders, both by phone and email with no response. Not sure what to do, but car is stranded because pump is leaking fuel, but does run. I already checked the hoses and fittings.
Kinda desperate!!
RossL

Post by RossL »

Best time to call AG is early in the morning before they get busy