“Floaty” Steering and Bad Brakes

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1980-89 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
WildWill

“Floaty” Steering and Bad Brakes

Post by WildWill »

Good morning, everyone,

I have been working on a 1985 thunderbird restoration for a little while now. It runs great, but I have had some problems with steering and brakes. The steering is hard to describe, but it kind of feels like it is simply “floating on a cloud” when I drive it on the highway. If you don’t pay attention to it, it will start to drift all over the highway. Also, I have had some braking issues. I replaced the master cylinder, and I am planning on bleeding the brakes soon. Any advice on some new calipers/rotors for improved braking?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
mcm51

Re: “Floaty” Steering and Bad Brakes

Post by mcm51 »

AS for the steering, has the fluid ever been changed in the P. S. unit, if the rack's going, this will not help, if the rack is o.k., start changing the p.s. fluid every year or two, this will try to keep rack alive.......now, wandering around in your lane at highway speed sounds like a issue with inner or outer tie rod ends or both, the only other thing that would give slop and help it wander would be upper/lower ball joints.......in my case with my Bird several years ago, inner tie rod ends was causing a lot of my wandering at highway speed..........
As far as calipers and rotors, I don't know if Motorcraft calipers is out there for you, if so that's the way to go, other than that, one cheapie is as good as the next.....As far as rotors, or drums for that matter, I'd try to get Bendix, I saw a lot of Bendix stuff on brakes back in the 80's and 90's o.e.m................
Hope I helped some on your descisions........keep that '85 alive, I'm seeing less and less of those aero Birds out there as time goes..
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
'86 Mustang SVO 2.3 Turbocharged
'84 Mustang GT-350 5.0 H.O.
VTCI #12973
U.S. Army 194th Armor Ft. Knox, Ky. 1977
WildWill

Post by WildWill »

Thanks for the advice!

I might try replacing the fluid since it has mainly just sat in a couple different garages for the last 20 or so years that my family has owned it. I know that the power steering rack and pinion was replaced in ‘01 when it was last redone. It was also 302 swapped with a Holley carb, and it was repainted with some more cosmetic mods. I am trying my best to preserve it, and I am also currently in the process of purchasing a ‘88 turbo coupe.

I really just wish the T-birds like mine are better preserved. They are not as common as mustangs, which i find odd due to the multitude of similarities between the two. Do you have any advice on compatibility from the fox mustangs to my thunderbird? I can’t find much information.

Thanks again, and I will post a couple of photos. The slate blue one with the hood scoop is mine, and there are a couple more photos of ads and fluid quantity information from a Chilton’s book I found in case anyone found these helpful or interesting!
Attachments
IMG_3258.jpeg
IMG_3185.jpeg
IMG_2957.jpeg
IMG_2833.jpeg
mcm51

Post by mcm51 »

I'm not sure how you swap p.s. fluid but I just use a turkey baster sucking out at resevior, on mine, I only can get out about 10 oz.'s, but I swap that fluid every 2 years, I firmly believe that will keep a rack alive in the long run, so your rack was changed back in '01, IMO, we better get swapping out that fluid, I only use Motorcraft type F on mine(motorcraft is getting harder to find nowadays) and I'm sure you'll use type F too........
Just wanted to mention to consider swapping that rear end fluid also, I've been swapping mine every 50K, I only use Motorcraft 80w90 with the little bottle of friction mod, weather it calls for it or not, can't hurt........here you don't have to do a full cover removal if ya don't want to get that involved, I use a hand pump here.......
I know a lady here in town that has a '88 turbo coupe, automatic, silver w/ blue leather, it's in pretty good shape minus a bunch of door dings, I always loved the holes in the hood, remember your '87-'88 t.c. is using what was left of the Mustang SVO engine's just detuned a bit. Other than hers, I have'nt seen one of those running down the road in a while...........
You probably share a lot of parts with my fox mustangs, I did'nt think about that until I had already posted eariler that you have struts up front and maybe not so much in the way of ball joints as on my Bird, coil over shocks up front, but ya still have a rack that's got inner tie rod ends sticking out both sides AND if those have never been swapped, outer ends for that matter, is still my guess on the wander at highway speed, I hope that you keep a record book.............
1st photo, I'm old enough to remember that one on the waat my local dealership........
3rd photo, looks like a Fila edition, have not seen one of those in many, many years.............
last photo, she looks pretty good, even the scoop looks decent on her, wheels, not bad at all, AND I'm gonna guess, regatta blue ext. paint color..........
If you have'nt guessed, I'm a lifetime Ford man, would not own anything else, I would never, ever tell you what to do with your Bird, like so many so-called T-bird clubs on the internet today, I call them facebook groups, in fact, most of those members that run those sites, have not owned a T-bird in years OR own's a garage T-bird to take to the track a couple of weekends every summer.............
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
VTCI #12973
mcm51

Post by mcm51 »

Oop's my mistake, upon 2nd look, 3rd photo is Turbo coupe, I was a little puzzled as to why you was throwing in a photo of a Fila, LOL....
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
VTCI #12973
WildWill

Post by WildWill »

I will try to use an oil pump I have to replace that power steering fluid. I am also looking to replace the rack and pinion soon.

I have also found that the midnight regatta blue was stock for those years. I am assuming that it was the original color, but the car has been painted at least 3 times, at least from what I know. I know the original color was some sort of blue since the interior is also a dark blue color. I am planning on getting her repainted after a while again when i get mechanical problems worked out.

Thanks again for the response!
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Seeing that your license plate is from Missouri, which metro area are you closer to - Kansas City or St. Louis? We have an extremely active chapter in KC, Vintage Thunderbirds of Kansas City, which has people involved in all generations. I suggest if you're in western Missouri that you look into www.vtkc.com for more info on VTKC. If on the east side of the state, Land of Lincoln members may be of some assistance.

https://vintagethunderbirdclub.net/nort ... region.htm

One VTCI member is currently listed as our 1983-1988 Technical Editor-I don't know that Dom monitors this Forum or if he is still active (he took on the position 10 years ago):
Dom Zanella
713 Ridgeway Rd, Joshua TX 76058
Cell#: (817) 235-5777 list
Email: zanellaii@sbcglobal.net

All this calls to attention that VTCI is seeking Technical Editor/Forum moderators to help answer directed questions about other generations. Open positions can be found on our Officer Addresses page
https://vintagethunderbirdclub.net/addresses.htm

If anyone is interested in a Tech Editor/Forum Moderator position, please PM me directly.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
mcm51

Post by mcm51 »

@WildWill, I just did the rack in my SVO about 5 years ago, it's not an awful job, a time consuming one and the only touchie part is threading back in those, I believe 4 lines, back in, but mine just sailed back into new rack no problem......
yea, that friend I knew back when that had the '85 regatta blue, was also a med-dark blue, pretty sure it was'nt leather either.....also wanted to comment, I thought that was cool how they put a couple of your switches in the console on those years, my friends '85 also had that digital speedo, nothing else digital on dash..........
Thanks for try'in to keep this '85 going, they are getting hard to find, hav'nt seen one in my little town for a very long time......
It's been a long time since I've worked on my friend's '85 and I'm getting older and my mind is not as shape as back when, but I'll try to help ya all I can, I could do better if ya had a MN-12...lol........

@Alan, Thanks for posting that info to all about VTCI in the Missouri area, I'd probably be more in contact with them myself over this or that if I lived closer......Your a good man for this club Alan, Thanks for all you do...................
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
VTCI #12973