A "chugga chugga" sound and then radiator fluid on the ground

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

gerstly1

A "chugga chugga" sound and then radiator fluid on the ground

Post by gerstly1 »

Hello,

In Feb. I warmed up the 1966 for about 9 minutes inside my garage. After turning off the engine, I heard this "chugga chugga" sound and when it stopped there was a lot of green liquid (I assume rad fluid) on the floor.
Later looking at the small tank above and to the rear of the radiator, it was empty. I haven't done any repairs yet. What could the problem be? (I intend to tow it to the garage. I was told that I could drive it to the end of my driveway to the tow truck without any consequences.)
Thank you,
Peter
64ZCODE

Re: A "chugga chugga" sound and then radiator fluid on the ground

Post by 64ZCODE »

Peter - If the engine continued running after the ignition was turned off, it may have overheated or the timing is way off. And the cooling system may be bone dry. I wouldn't run it, find another way to get it out to where the tow truck can snag it. Doug
1964 TBird Hardtop
1974 Porsche 914 2.0
David Langhorne

Post by David Langhorne »

Doug - Pete didnt say the engine was running on - he said he hears a chugga chugga sound which I assumed was water boiling in the system
(as he was losing fluid). Perhaps Pete could elaborate a bit more. It is common for the header tank to be empty when the engine is cold (at least mine always is) but when hot if the cap is released very slowly I always find water in there.
Dave Langhorne 65SL
UK
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Could be just the water pump at worst a head gasket.
gerstly1

Post by gerstly1 »

Hello Dave,

Thanks for replying. You're correct, I don't think it was the engine running on. (It happened fairly fast, and I was surprised to hear any sound after I turned off the ignition.) It was an unusual sound, a loud pulse then quiet, a loud pulse then quiet repeating several times, then a whoosh of liquid running out, then silence.

Peter
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

The radiator supply tank should be full when the engine is cold with the fluid level being 1" below the filler neck - as specified in the shop manual. If you don't see coolant in the supply tank when the engine is cold, you're likely running under the factory specified amount - approximately 20 1/2 quarts U.S. measurement, 17 quarts Imperial. There's always coolant visible in my tank if the system is cool enough that I can safely remove the radiator cap. :eek: