1962 headlights are really dim.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

aa010175

1962 headlights are really dim.

Post by aa010175 »

My 1962 T-Bird headlights are really dim and near yellow looking. It’s a generator car that charges normally. The light bulbs look new. Dim or bright doesn’t seem to matter. You can’t see anything with them. All the rest of the lights look normal in brightness. Thanks Dave
Alan H. Tast

Re: 1962 headlights are really dim.

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Start with electrical diagnosis and a good multimeter. How many volts and amps are getting to the individual headlight bulbs? Figure that out first, and work your way back through the electrical system. Checking/cleaning/tightening grounds would be first on my list of things to do after getting a baseline reading on voltage at the light bulb sockets. Removing the headlight switch from the dash cluster and giving it a good cleaning with contact cleaner may also be a worthwhile maintenance project to take on, along with cleaning up the contacts on the switch and in the wiring harness plug. Same with the dimmer switch on the floor.

It well could be that your voltage regulator or generator may be the culprit(s), hence the recommendation to check voltage and amps first before doing more. The problem may end up being a voltage regulator needing cleaning/adjustment, or the generator needing new brushes/cleaning. Take things one step at a time, follow diagnostic procedures provided in the factory shop manual, be methodical and look for the source of the problem before throwing parts at it.

If you don't have the 1962 Thunderbird Shop Manual and/or the 1962 Thunderbird Electrical Assembly Manual (both of which have schematics of the lighting system), get copies of them NOW. These will give you a 'roadmap' of how power gets from the generator and battery through the headlight switch to the lights.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
aa010175

Re: 1962 headlights are really dim.

Post by aa010175 »

Thanks Alan. I have all the manuals and restoration manuals. The car was (badly) restored in 2012. Unfortunately the restoration shop hired wrench turning mechanics! I am no ace mechanic but some of the work was unbelievably poor. Dave