Starter zing?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

ThunderJoe717

Starter zing?

Post by ThunderJoe717 »

I did a custom exhaust on my 61'. Obviously, i had to remove starter to get to that passenger side manifold. Anyways, I got the exhaust done and put the starter back in and started it all up and there is now a zinging? Sound that seems to be coming from the flywheel/starter area. I can tell u right now the starter doesn't have that gasket seal on it. I was under the impression that was sort of an optional thing that was often taken off. Is it possible i need to shim the starter or something or is that zinging the sign of a lazy Bendix or perhaps i assembled the starter improperly. Thank for any future help guys!
kbuhagiar

Re: Starter zing?

Post by kbuhagiar »

Are you using the factory starter?
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)
ThunderJoe717

Post by ThunderJoe717 »

Yes, factory replacement i guess you could call it.
kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

Is it the long weird looking one with the bendix drive sticking out over the end? Weighs a ton and a half, lol?
Tbird starter.jpg
Tbird starter.jpg (12.1 KiB) Viewed 620 times
Or is it a more conventional modern-looking starter?

The more modern-looking one (64-up) is NOT a direct replacement and will cause the sort of problems you are describing.
Oh, and that gasket thingy is NOT optional. it needs to be in place.
Cheers, Ken
1962 Convertible
1966 Q-code Landau Coupe (sold)
1990 SuperCoupe 5-speed (sold)
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

OEM starter.
Attachments
C2AF-11001-A.jpg
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
ThunderJoe717

Post by ThunderJoe717 »

It's not the newer conventional style starter. It's has all that stuff on the long spindle sticking out. It'll stop when I switch into gear. One i give it some throttle though it begins again.
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

I've always thought that Ford put the rubber spacer between the starter and the bell housing to correctly position the bendix relative to the ring gear. In '63, that rubber spacer was replaced with a superior metal spacer that completely covered the contact area beween the bell housing and the rear of the engine block. I actually replaced the rubber spacer on the '62 SR I just restored with the '63 style metal spacer because I believe it provides a firmer, more positive mount for the starter. I wouldn't leave the spacer, of either type, out of the assembly. The attached photo shows the '63 style spacer, with the large circular hole for the starter clearly visible, positioned on the rear of the block.
P1030741.JPG.jpeg
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

I have been following your issue, if the starter was ok before your repair , I would say it did not survive r & r.
This can happen on old cars. It sounds like , from your post the bendex is not retracting after the car starts. If
It worked before and not now , pull it and check it. Maybe
Replace it. You may get one local from carquest or napa.
Who knows you might see your issue with them side by side
And return the new one. Sometimes you have to hold your
Mouth just right and use a few choice words to make it work.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
ThunderJoe717

Post by ThunderJoe717 »

The bendix wasnt returning fully after completion of the starting sequence. Got another bendix piece..... Does anybody on here know if there's supposed to be 2 short and one long bolt on that starter