vacuum lines diagram

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
scubafreak

vacuum lines diagram

Post by scubafreak »

Hello All,

I recently bought a 1969 thunderbird 429 thunderjet 2 door landeau.
I purchased the shop manual digitally, but there are no vacuum diagrams with it.
It was not running when I bought it, the carburetor was replaced by a holley.
Leaving a lot of things disconnected.
I ordered supplies to start the car running fuel of a jerrycan.
but I am trying to figure out the vacuum lines, it is a model with a/c.
below some picture of the current state, I haven't cleaned it yet, it is in the garage.
Thank you.
1.jpg
I will add a picture of the right side with the missing/ damaged vacuum lines.
DRFN8R

Re: vacuum lines diagram

Post by DRFN8R »

The best way to do it ive found because literally everything is vacuum controlled and youll go crazy and get disheartened trying to do it all at once. start by capping the main vacuum line off the engine and focus on getting it running (hook up your carb check fluids turn it use some marvel mystery oil its great) anyways once you get the engine running then focus on what youd like to do next ie the headlights or windows etc. and youll be able to find diagrams of these fairly easy for the 1969 ford released 5 shop manuals i recommend you buy that goes into detail on all the systems on your car good luck and reach out if you need any help or have any questions
JDRF
1969 4door landau
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Starting in 1967, Ford printed, separate from the 5-volume shop manual sets (which began in 1969), a large-format (11"x17"), plastic comb-bound, two-color set of diagrams combining electrical and vacuum systems for all Ford-Mercury-Lincoln models (prior to then, starting in 1963, just the electrical diagrams were printed this way). Printing of the electrical-vacuum diagrams continued through the '70s and into the '80s. For 1969, the form number for the set was 7795P-69A. The electrical portion for T-birds alone is 36 sheets, with an additional 20 sheets for the vacuum section.

The vacuum portion has pictorial and schematic diagram charts for the standard heater and A/C systems, those with Automatic Temperature Control (ATC), Headlight doors, Door Locks, Deck Lid Release, Uniflow Vent-Windshield Wiper Coordination, and the Swing-Away steering wheel/parking brake system.

I'm not aware that these have been reproduced or scanned into a digital format - chances are if they have, these may have just focused on the portions for Mustangs and Cougars. My recommendation is to see what the Mustang parts vendors offer for reproductions of these and ask if they contain the sections for T-birds and/or Lincoln Mark IIIs, scour automotive swap meets and contact automotive literature vendors for these kinds of things.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
scubafreak

Post by scubafreak »

Thank for the tips.
I was able to start the car briefly using starter fluid. The fuel pump is shot, I have bought a new one yesterday, installing this weekend.
For now I'll cap the vacuum system and focus on the driving and running part.
I did buy the shop manuals (digitally) and there's a basic layout in there. The car has a/c, the rest I have to figure out what options it has.
I found the built sheet under the carpet under the drivers seat but there was nothing left of it.
Thank you.
DRFN8R

Post by DRFN8R »

knowing the engine fires is a great start congrats depending on how long its been sitting you may want to drain the tank as well and start with fresh fuel while tuning and getting it running ill use a jerry can until im ready to replace the fuel filters, fuel, etc. but that does sound exciting let me know how this weekend goes
JDRF
1969 4door landau
scubafreak

Post by scubafreak »

Thanks, yes, I filled up a 5 gallon jerry can yesterday, and spend 2 hours laying on the creeper getting the fuel pump out.