power steering belt to radiator clearance

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

emo666

power steering belt to radiator clearance

Post by emo666 »

My power steering belt is cutting the bottom radiator hose---replaced hose 3 times and ran engine-- looked good at idle and low speed --- cut top of hose off at engine outlet about 3/8 inch. Still is touching bottom engine support frame. This just started when I pulled the power steering pump and put it back. The pulley is slightly bent but not 1/2 inch out. Also where can I buy a new pulley "reasonable" if needed. $79+ on google
jtschug

Re: power steering belt to radiator clearance

Post by jtschug »

Those two things are not close to each other on my car. Something isn’t right.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
dan42

Post by dan42 »

If problem started after pump replacement, I would re-trace the steps on the new install to make sure everthing is properly aligned and adjusted.
'64 conv. black on black red interior
64 hardtop parts car
'94 lx 4.6
VTCI # 12001
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Post a few pictures,of what is cutting into the hose.
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

The clearance between the power steering belt and lower radiator hose should be at least 1/2" at their closest proximity. I can easily fit my finger between the two.

You didn't say what model year you have. Does your Thunderbird have A/C? '65/'66 Thunderbirds without A/C utilized a cylindrical steel spacer that was located between the face of the left cylinder head and the rear p/s pump mounting bracket - at that rear mounting bolt. I circled the spacer in the photo below. If you neglected to reinstall that spacer, the p/s pump could then potentially be situated too far back on the engine which might allow the belt to contact the lower radiator hose. On my '66 (no A/C) I can see the p/s belt would also contact the fan pulley if the pump was mounted so far rearward that the belt was cutting into the lower radiator hose.
Attachments
power steering pump mounting 2 copy.jpg