No Brake Pedal

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

paul2748

Re: No Brake Pedal

Post by paul2748 »

The plastic "spacer" or tip is available by itself. CASCO lists them
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
seany-boy

Post by seany-boy »

thanks Paul,

Mine seems in good condition so all good there. I was just checking if the spacer setup on the third was unique and if it would impact the brake guy rebuilding the MC. I don't know what kit they use but suspect it will be a standard 1 inch Ford kit perhaps they will reuse the same piston so it won't matter. Was just wondering if the spacer made the rebuild specific to a TBird in which case I might need to let him know?
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

The whole front end brake system was specific to the T-Birds. Hense the booster on the fender instead of the firewall.
Just go with the whole new rebuild kit, and don't bother with the original push rod and the plastic cap which was added to differentiate it from the car systems. The geometry of the pedal system was different and the cap was a compensation.
Just install the new rebuild kit and don't overthink it. I'm very happy with the results. Stops on a dime now, including the original style hydraulic brake light switch.
VTCI # 13223
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

My advice is that you should plan to compare new and old parts to answer the question about the spacer. It is impossible to guess what is in the car now and what the replacement parts will be.

On our '57 the mechanic for the prior owner replaced the complete master cylinder assembly. He was not aware of the spacer. Apparently it stayed in the old master cylinder. When we bought the car let's just say that the braking action was almost non-existent.

Whatever you figure out for pushrod, spacer, and master cylinder piston, check the free-play and adjust the eccentric on the brake pedal arm as needed. Excess free-play means delayed braking action. If the free-play is too small the master cylinder piston will not return to the home position. This means that the return port to the reservoir will not be uncovered and the brakes will not release.
Rusty
VTCI 13079