Power Steering Fluid Spraying Out Reservoir / Frothy Fluid

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

rkdinuzzo

Power Steering Fluid Spraying Out Reservoir / Frothy Fluid

Post by rkdinuzzo »

Hi all-

'57 E-code here, OEM power steering system.

Noticed a power steering leak from the top of my fluid reservoir, and when I turn the wheel all the way it started literally spraying out of the top hole. The fluid is quite frothy, so air is getting in the system somewhere. Assuming my best best is to ensure the internals of the hoses are ok, but also read something about the filter size maybe being too small? Pic for reference, TIA for the help.

Rob

'57 T-Bird E-code
'47 Lincoln Club Coupe
'54 Corvette
'58 Auto Union 1000
'59 Karmann Ghia
'60 Alfa Giulietta
'60 Auto Union 1000 SP
'64 GAZ 69
ward 57

Re: Power Steering Fluid Spraying Out Reservoir / Frothy Fluid

Post by ward 57 »

Never have seen that problem before but the evidence is certainly there. I have never changed my filter over 45+ years in fact only learned about it a couple of years ago as everything has worked fine so never looked. I'm wondering if you are having an issue with the pump itself with a failing seal or two.
VTCI # 13223
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

If you search this forum for ‘57 power steering fluid spray’ you’ll find a thread from almost exactly one year ago, March 22, 2023. The answers posted describe what you remember about the two filter sizes. Apparently they can cause the spray. I guess I got lucky when I restored our 57. I don’t remember being aware of two filter sizes. Maybe Casco just knew which one to send.
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

The proper filter is 3" diameter. My car did not have a filter at all and that didn't cause any issues as far as frothy fluid or anything else. I put in a proper filter and it's been fine with the filter too. If the fluid gets too low, that could cause it to suck air. I would think that would froth the fluid. If your problem is a new one make sure there is enough fluid in it... but... you'd have to wonder how it got so low... is it leaking a significant amount of fluid somewhere? If you have not checked the fluid in a while it may simply be that you have a small leak, the fluid got too low and started frothing, and refilling it will take care of the issue till the slow leak drops to level too low again. Most of these cars leak so it's always the decision of how much leak is too much and needs to be fixed.
rkdinuzzo

Post by rkdinuzzo »

Jimntempe wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:18 pm The proper filter is 3" diameter. My car did not have a filter at all and that didn't cause any issues as far as frothy fluid or anything else. I put in a proper filter and it's been fine with the filter too. If the fluid gets too low, that could cause it to suck air. I would think that would froth the fluid. If your problem is a new one make sure there is enough fluid in it... but... you'd have to wonder how it got so low... is it leaking a significant amount of fluid somewhere? If you have not checked the fluid in a while it may simply be that you have a small leak, the fluid got too low and started frothing, and refilling it will take care of the issue till the slow leak drops to level too low again. Most of these cars leak so it's always the decision of how much leak is too much and needs to be fixed.
Well, so often it's the simplest solution. The fluid must have gotten so low that it was sucking in air, leading to the froth. Problem solved... thanks for the guidance!
'57 T-Bird E-code
'47 Lincoln Club Coupe
'54 Corvette
'58 Auto Union 1000
'59 Karmann Ghia
'60 Alfa Giulietta
'60 Auto Union 1000 SP
'64 GAZ 69
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Picture of OEM Power Steering Filter
Attachments
filter.jpg
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309