Pertronix Install

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

paul2748

Pertronix Install

Post by paul2748 »

56 Tbird - I am installing a Pertronix II with the Pertronix II coil - no resistor. While the instructions are okay, one thing bothers me. The main harness has two wires that go to the factory coil and resistor - a brown wire and a red wire. The instructions only show one wire going to the coil (besides the distributor wire) .

The question is - are both wires ( red and brown) connected to the + side of the coil ? I had the same setup on the car a number of years ago but had to take it off for reasons unrelated to the Pertronix and it seems to me that at the time I only ran the red wire to the coil. Others have told me that both go to the + side of the coil. Can anyone straighten me out ? Thanks
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ranchbird

Re: Pertronix Install

Post by ranchbird »

I have a 56 with a Mallory unilite distributor that is basically the same as the pertronix kit, mine is hooked as follows, the brown wire from the harness is on the plus side of the coil the red wire from the harness is on the ballast resistor, the red wire from the distributor is on the ballast resistor with the red wire from the harness. The black wire from the distributor is on the minus side of the coil.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Thanks, but as I noted I am not running a resistor (recommended by Pertronix)
ranchbird wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:48 am I have a 56 with a Mallory unilite distributor that is basically the same as the pertronix kit, mine is hooked as follows, the brown wire from the harness is on the plus side of the coil the red wire from the harness is on the ballast resistor, the red wire from the distributor is on the ballast resistor with the red wire from the harness. The black wire from the distributor is on the minus side of the coil.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
ranchbird

Post by ranchbird »

If you're not using a ballast resistor than your correct the red and brown wire would go to the + on the coil, the only difference between yours and mine is the red wire from the harness on mine is going through the ballast resistor and then to the + side of the coil.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I don't know if this is the right place to put this post, but I was talking to the shop owner I use and he has vast experience with old fords as a Mustang specialty shop but will work on almost anything.
He mentioned he has been seeing a good share of Pertronix failures. He is old school but knows his stuff. His conclusion is that leaving the ignition on but not running is frying the control module. I have also read that grounding the module is VERY important and also mounted to solid metal to help as a heat sink. High temps are not their friend.
VTCI # 13223
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

I have heard that the Pertronix I went south if the ignition was left on without the engine running. Nor sure about the II which I have or the III, but I am very careful about this. If there is a question, contacting Pertronix is the best plan.
ward 57 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:03 pm I don't know if this is the right place to put this post, but I was talking to the shop owner I use and he has vast experience with old fords as a Mustang specialty shop but will work on almost anything.
He mentioned he has been seeing a good share of Pertronix failures. He is old school but knows his stuff. His conclusion is that leaving the ignition on but not running is frying the control module. I have also read that grounding the module is VERY important and also mounted to solid metal to help as a heat sink. High temps are not their friend.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

This is from the Ignitor II brochure..

Leaving the key in the "ON" position without having the engine running for extended periods is no
longer a problem with the new Ignitor 2 technology. The unit will shut itself down in such a situation
to prevent any damage. Whilst this safety feature will prevent damage to the unit, it is still
recommended to avoid such situations where possible.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

My wife's cousin's husband has been using a Pertronix 1 in his 65 Mustang for years without issue. For any aftermarket parts that are installed, I recommend following the manufacturer's instructions; the manufacturer can't be blamed for the consumer's failure to do so.