Need help with identifying trans part: '57 FOM

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

rkdinuzzo

Need help with identifying trans part: '57 FOM

Post by rkdinuzzo »

Hey all- just purchased a '57 e-code and am getting an auto trans fluid leak. Appears to be seeping out of the pictured location below, but cannot find the name of this part. Any help would be much appreciated.

'57 T-Bird E-code
'47 Lincoln Club Coupe
'54 Corvette
'58 Auto Union 1000
'59 Karmann Ghia
'60 Alfa Giulietta
'60 Auto Union 1000 SP
'64 GAZ 69
paul2748

Re: Need help with identifying trans part: '57 FOM

Post by paul2748 »

It's called an Inspection Cover in CASCO's catalog. Part # 7980.

Leak could be coming from the front seal. As you probably know, red is trans fluid.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Yup, looks like a rear engine seal leak but very minor. Nothing to worry about. These cars leaked top to bottom. Just the nature of the beast.
VTCI # 13223
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

The red fluid color is automatic transmission fluid, not engine oil.

I agree that the most likely source of the leak is the front transmission seal. Another possibility is the O-ring seal between the converter housing and the front impeller cover.

If you remove that access cover you should be able to trace the leak. if it is coming from the front seal the stream should be coming from the rear of that bell housing. If it is from the converter seal you should be able to see that area of the converter.

If you decide to replace that front seal you will most likely have to pull the engine and transmission as an assembly. Based on what I have read there is not enough room to remove the transmission from underneath the car. While you have everything out make sure you check the converter O-ring.

I am not a big "auto elixir" fan. If the car has been sitting a while that front seal might have dried and shrunk a little it might be with trying an automatic transmission stop-leak. They contain additives that soften and swell rubber seals. It might get you a few more years.

Another approach is to monitor the leak and transmission fluid level for a while to determine how severe the leak is. It is hard to justify pulling the engine/transmission to stop a leak of a quart of transmission fluid every 250 miles.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

In order to remove the transmission without removing the engine, the transmission would have to be disassembled and removed in pieces; it can be done, but not necessarily easier than removing the engine.
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

When I got my 57 it had not been driven in quite a few years. For the first few months I had it, it would leave a fairly good-sized puddle of transmission fluid after being driven. Now that it gets driven regularly it leaks very little transmission fluid.
RegM 56 T-Bird

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

Rusty57 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:22 am The red fluid color is automatic transmission fluid, not engine oil.

I agree that the most likely source of the leak is the front transmission seal. Another possibility is the O-ring seal between the converter housing and the front impeller cover.

If you remove that access cover you should be able to trace the leak. if it is coming from the front seal the stream should be coming from the rear of that bell housing. If it is from the converter seal you should be able to see that area of the converter.

If you decide to replace that front seal you will most likely have to pull the engine and transmission as an assembly. Based on what I have read there is not enough room to remove the transmission from underneath the car. While you have everything out make sure you check the converter O-ring.

I am not a big "auto elixir" fan. If the car has been sitting a while that front seal might have dried and shrunk a little it might be with trying an automatic transmission stop-leak. They contain additives that soften and swell rubber seals. It might get you a few more years.

Another approach is to monitor the leak and transmission fluid level for a while to determine how severe the leak is. It is hard to justify pulling the engine/transmission to stop a leak of a quart of transmission fluid every 250 miles.
Rusty, would you happen to know the part number for the O-ring seal between the converter and the front impellor cover? When I get home in May a friend and I plan to haul the engine and transmission of my 56 T_Bird to replace the seals. I have what I think is all the gaskets and seals but I don't seem to have that one on my list and I think I should get it get it. Thanks, Reg